low magnesium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only change out 4-5 gallons a week. (46g tank). I try to keep between 15-20 gallons of saltwater stored and usually mix up a couple buckets of 3.5 gallons each when the storage tub gets low.

Oh....

I guess Ive never worried about my salt mix being "stirred" or getting false readings since I mix 32-64g of SW at a time. I try and keep a minimum of 32 on hand at all times. You just never know what could happen.

You just never know what could happen.

You're right about that! Whenever I feel like complaining about something I think about your tank cracking. Twice.

So I've been dosing the tank and the magnesium is up to 1170. I've only been adding about 90 mls of B-Ionic (the label suggests 105 ml a day to raise by 15 ppm) a day and it's been like three days so I'm not sure how my level is up by 180 ppm (from 990).

Also, I've mixed up a 17 gallon batch from the new salt bucket and will do a full range of tests before using it. I'm trying to get the SG right first.

My torch coral is looking a little less plump today. I moved it higher in the tank in case it's a lighting issue. I have a 48" coralife fixture with two 65 watt 10,000K bulbs and two actinic bulbs. Is that enough? The guy at my LFS last weekend assured me it was enough for a torch, but he was also trying to sell me a coral. Not that it's hard to sell me a coral these days!!

Last edited:
Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. I mixed up a 17 gallon batch from the new salt bucket and ran all the tests:

SG 1.025
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate 0
magnesium 1305

So far so good, right? But then the alkalinity was way high (I stopped testing at 24 dKH) and the calcium was way high at 750 (they guarantee 380). And the pH was only 7.8.

What am I doing wrong here? Would shaking the bucket really make that much of a difference? My LFS was raving about Seachem Reef Salt as being great quality but so far I'm not so impressed. :-(

Those ca and alk #'s are impossible. Your tank would be a solid chunk of calcium carbonate. Try testing again or take a sample to your LFS.

maybe not his LFS as it seems they are ONLY out for money with little concern for the customer or problems. They may tell him that everything is normal....try a different LFS and don't state a problem....see what they come up with

I can't make it to the LFS until Friday, but my plan is to bring a cup of water from each source: the tank, the old bucket, and the new bucket. It does mean skipping a PWC this week but I'm planning to do a larger one next week to make up for it. I need to get this sorted out before adding anything else to the tank! My two zoas and one torch seem to be okay for now, and I'm slowly bringing the magnesium level up in the tank. I'm over 1,100 now (up from about 1,000).

Back
Top Bottom