Low ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfmanbean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I finally determined the cause of my low ph. I have a RO/DI unit so I make all of my own water. I tested the ph of my saltwater about 24 hrs after I mixed it and it tested around 7.8. The same ph of my display tank. So this brings me to the conclusion that my house water has low ph. I believe this is the reason I have low ph in my display tank, from doing water changes and top offs with water that has low ph. So my question is what is the best way to raise my ph? I thought about using ph buffer on my mixed saltwater to raise the ph before I do a water change? But I'm not sure if I could use the same method for my fresh top off water. I know that lime water raises ph but could I use it even though I don't need calcium supplementation?

7.8 is fine and is nothing to worry about. Test the pH of your tank in the AM before the lights come on and then test it again right before the light go out. Don't be suprised to see 7.8 in the AM and around 8.2 later in the day. That is common and happens with every reef tank.
Most likely the reason for your pH being on the low, but acceptable range is you have a high co2 level in the air in your house. Take a sample of your water and test it and then take it outside and let it sit for an hour or so and test the pH. If it's higher than what it was when you tested inside the house, you have a high co2 level in the inside air.

Using any buffer to raise pH is not a good idea and usually the affect is only temporary. This may help.
Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I agree with Larry that you are OK. Check in the evening before the lights go out.

Back
Top Bottom