Low PH and red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhTheHumanity

Aquarium Advice Activist
My PH is 7.8 hmmmm... Should I do a water change to try to raise it or dose with PH buffer?

What are the best bets for ridding and keeping red slime away? Man that is some ugly nasty stuff.

Cyano and other forms of pest algae seem to do better in tanks that have low pH and alk. I would probably do some small water changes to bring the pH up. I think adding the buffer might bring it up too quickly if you're not very careful.

I wouldn't dose buffer unless you know the alkalinity is low. Buffer will affect pH and alkalinity. A water change is your best bet. But do you know why the pH is low? Has it always been low? Have you changed something recently that could've affected pH. Make sure you've got good water movement and surface agitation. Also, many pH problems can be attributed to high CO2 concentration in the tank and even in the home. Sometimes just opening a window near the tank for a few hours a day will help raise pH. Also, make sure you are testing in the middle of your lighting period. pH will be lowest first thing in the morning and highest at the end of the lighting cycle. HTH

I have no idea why it's low. The only change I made is in SG. It was real high and I'm bringing it down.

whatever you do don't use any kind of slime remover. i made that mistake and if you run a protein skimmer you will regret it for days. because the chemicles you use will cause your skimmer to over skim for days and days and days. it sucked so bad. test the water and find out if exactly what your water conditions are. then do a water change and see if that changed it. then take action from there.

Back
Top Bottom