Low PH what to do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed my inverts acting funny. My serpant stars are out in front, and my cleaner shrimp are hiding, and wont come out on my arm which they have done 100% of the time I have had them. I checked my PH, and it is 7.8. How can I get it up, and do you think this is the prob?

I dosed Vit C last night!

Just remember something! I am using tap water (i know), and I FORGOT to add the dechlorinator to the water change before I put the new water in. Can I mix the decl. with like a gallon of water and add it, or is it too late? I did about 20gallons.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Should be fine to add just to the tank water actually... or at least I know people who use a Python on a FW tank that do this.

" I dosed Vit C last night! "

Vitamin C is an acid , this could have dropped you pH depending on how much you put in. Try mixing a little baking soda ( a base ) in some water and adding it. Watch the pH carefully though since it will change throughout the day.

JG[/i]

Vitamin C is ascorbic ACID...this can lower the pH based on the acidity of the ascorbic acid concentration and the alkalinity of your tank water. Just out of curiousity, why do you dose vitamin C?

Hey Steve, I should have told you guys that I went to the lfs and bought Kent Marine C, that's what I used. :wink: I dosed exactly as the label says do.

All seems to be well today. :D

revhtree said:
I dosed exactly as the label says do.

Rev,

I hope you followed the directions on the bottle (1ml/50gal) as you've idicted. The 5 ml/10 gal I recommended was for a general vitamin containing vitamin C not a straight C additive. If so, that would be the cause of your sudden fall in pH.

Cheers
Steve

I hope you followed the directions on the bottle (1ml/50gal) as you've idicted. The 5 ml/10 gal I recommended was for a general vitamin containing vitamin C not a straight C additive. If so, that would be the cause of your sudden fall in pH.

:oops: :oops:

I did follow the directions like it said. Also I think I need to read things better next time! I did'nt even catch that! (revhtree slaps himself upside his head) DOH!

You think I will be ok? All looks good in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom