Lowering Nitrates and Nitrites....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125 and has been set up for a year. I Just saw a hint of trates today and did a water change about 2 weeks ago....I have never had any hint of either trates or trites in a long time...is this solved with a water change? I have 3 shrimp and 2 starfish and dont want anyone killing over on me...Also running an Aqua C skimmer...Since its just a hint should I let it roll or do something about it?

prior to doing your water change, do a nitrite/nitrate test on the new water first (specifically say this since you've never had a problem before). a water change usually should reduce this but find out the cause in the first place (assuming its not in the new water you're adding) could be due to dead spots in the tank - or possibly areas of rock covered in sand that would kill aerobic bacteria. nitrites are your concern, more toxic than nitrates - although nitrates in high levels (above about 40ppm i think) start to cause problems. if you have nitrites, i'd test for ammonia too just incase.

I have a 125 and has been set up for a year. I Just saw a hint of trates today and did a water change about 2 weeks ago....I have never had any hint of either trates or trites in a long time...is this solved with a water change? I have 3 shrimp and 2 starfish and dont want anyone killing over on me...Also running an Aqua C skimmer...Since its just a hint should I let it roll or do something about it?

What is the exact amount of nitrates? A "hint" to me is like 1-2ppm which could be a test kit error. Have you had any changes to your system in the last few months or weeks that may have caused a nitrate rise? What are you doing for nutrient export? DSB? LR? Refugium? Also, what and how often are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom