lowering s.g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm going to do a water change with salt water from lfs. their water has a s.g. of 1.026. my tank is at 1.025 where i want to keep it. if i'm changing out 15 gallons how much of that needs to be ro to lower the s.g to 1.025? is there a simple formula?

hmmm, I would use (for a 15g waterchange) a container capable of holding twenty gallons and adjust the LFS water to 1.025. I think your going to need at least a couple of gallons.

There probably is, and if I understood SG I could probably give it to you. The problem is that simple formulas arn't often as simple as they seem, refer to mound and his copious amounts of ammonia. The best method is usually just to add a little at a time till it is right.

I would try this. Take the 15 gal of saltwater from the LFS and put it in a 20 gal container liek a rubbermaid tub. Then add 1 gal of RO water. Have a heater in the tub and a PH to circulate the water around. Check SG after the RO water has had a chance to mix with the saltwater for lets say 15-20min and is somewhat close to tank temperature.

I dont think it will take much water to drop the SG 0.001. If after adding 1 gal of RO water you see no change then try 1 more gal of RO water and repeat till you find the proper amount. My intial guess is that it will take 1-2gal.

Back
Top Bottom