LPS starting to die. Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetmech2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have and open brain and it's starting to show its white skeleton. How can I save it? I've had it for about 3 months. My parameters are all good except my phosphates are .5 ppm

What is your salinity at? Calcium?

It may just be stressed. Has anything died recently? Is its mouth open continuously?

Maybe wait a day or do and watch the coral to see if it is stressed and recovering

What size is the tank and what lighting do you have? Where is the coral placed? I had that happen to a brain coral of mine it got bleached from the lights and eventually receded off its exoskeleton and died. :-(

Also, do you dose iodine? Try spot feeding and making sure it gets the correct amount of lighting.

Jlsardina said:
What is your salinity at? Calcium?

It may just be stressed. Has anything died recently? Is its mouth open continuously?

Maybe wait a day or do and watch the coral to see if it is stressed and recovering

Salinity is 1.022-1.025, forgot what calcium is, but it's where it needs to be. I have a hammer that's not doing good at all, but it really hasn't done good since I moved it a month ago. The open brain's mouth is open most of the time.

I would definitely start with the iodine. It benefits all your corals. I also feed cyclopeeze a couple times a week. Also, oyster juice can help open up corals to feed. I usually will feed oyster juice, phytoplankton and cyclopeeze at least 4 times a week. I dose iodine once a week.

Placement is also key. Make sure it's on a sand bed with good light and medium flow (depending on the type of brain as well).

I'm not an expert on brains. Carey is. Lol. But this is what I do and my brains all look awesome.

Have and open brain and it's starting to show its white skeleton...I have a hammer that's not doing good at all...

Is the skeleton erupting through the coral tissue or is the tissue receding? Also what symptoms is your hammer coral experiencing? What other types of LPS corals do you have and how are they doing?

While your parameters were stated as "good", please post your calcium, alkalinity, and pH levels.

Test your iodine levels prior to dosing.

kay-bee19 said:
Is the skeleton erupting through the coral tissue or is the tissue receding? Also what symptoms is your hammer coral experiencing? What other types of LPS corals do you have and how are they doing?

While your parameters were stated as "good", please post your calcium, alkalinity, and pH levels.

Test your iodine levels prior to dosing.

Nitrate 0
Phosphate .25
Alkalinity 11
Calcium 420
pH 8.1

The hammer never really expands out. I have torch, frog spawn (only had for 3 days but looks very good), war coral, mont. cap( only had for 3 days), plops,

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-318669842.jpg
    image-318669842.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 86
  • image-989639882.jpg
    image-989639882.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2498894995.jpg
    image-2498894995.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2453033284.jpg
    image-2453033284.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3450358002.jpg
    image-3450358002.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-324582208.jpg
    image-324582208.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 89
you might have to much flow going on, that torch coral looksl ike it is whipping around, and LPS corals have a tendency to have the fleshy part pull off its skeleton if there is to much flow.

its also possible that you have a fish that is picking at the flesh of the corals, keep an eye on them

Back
Top Bottom