LR/BR question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok got a simple question for you fishy type gurus around here....does anyone have a good ratio of Base Rock to Live Rock for a tank? I know 1-1.5 lb per gal, but should a certain part of that be Base Rock? I'm thinking about 2/3 Base Rock and 1/3 Live Rock in my new 45 gal, but I'd just like your opinions.

Thanks,
DHS

IMO it's more a matter of personal preference. Assuming your base rock is essentially dead LR with the same porosity as most LR, it will become bio active in a few weeks fufilling the same filter function of LR, then you don't need any LR at all. If you want the beauty of LR and the miriad of life (inverts and algae) that come on it then add enough LR to be pleasing to you. A lot of folks use base rock to support the LR when using a DSB. In this case the BR is buried in the sand, the LR is exposed. I have added pieces of dead rock to my LR and in a matter of months it is fully encrusted with tube worms, vermatids, and coraline.
Your plan should work just fine.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom