LR in a canister filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philthefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been browsing the forums and have noticed a couple of people referring to 'putting LR in their canister filter'.

Are there any benefits to doing this compared with either not using a canister at all, or using a canister with the standard mechanical/bio media in there??

Just curious really because my plan was to add more LR to my tank and eventually do away with the canister (removing the bio media gradually over a period of time).

The only reason lr rubble is recommended for canister filters instead of the usual media is because excessive waste tends to build up on the sponges/bio-balls that typically come with them and can cause no3 problems if not properly cleaned. Lr rubble cuts down on that but even that can build up waste, just not as fast.

I have a ton of lr in my 55 (almost too much) but still use a Magnum 350 with bio-wheel so I can transfer the wheel over to my qt tank at any time and for added water circulation. IMO lr alone is fine and a canister filter in addition to lr is fine also as long as you keep it clean. (I clean mine every two weeks)

I have 2 media containers for mine and keep lr rubble in one and use the other for ac, chemi-pure, phosguard & any other chemical filtration I might want to use. I don’t use the filter sleeve personally but even that can be used if you clean it regularly.

Live rock is some of the best filtration avaliable for salt water aquariums. Using it in a canister filter allows for better nutrient absorption than traditional filtration methods.

Back
Top Bottom