LR only for 6 mos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of setting up a 100gal reef. Now the family (wife) goals are to buy a house first. I only need a ballast and fuge/pump to start new tank, however I have the basics to start smaller version now now. I was wondering if it would be ok to get cycling done ahead of time. was thinking of getting some (100lbs or so) of the LR and LS cycle done and growing coraline now. I am also very fond of all of the critters that just grow on the LR and sand. I have some shrooms, polyps and riccordias in a nano that I can throw in there for the time being. I have a 96W 10K CF and a 96W Blue Actinic CF and neccessary circulation equip now. Would these lights be enough to support a healthy LR and LS system for six mos or so?
I just don't want to do all of the plumbing and wiring then have to tear it down and redesign all over again, especially when the tank is so new.

Sounds like your asking can you cycle the tank and then move your nano into it until you move. If thats the question...yes. cycling it only requires a heater and a a power head. I suggest some kind of lighting to keep the coralline algae alive, but thats pretty much it. The lighting you have on your nano should be fine provided you keep the corals towards the top of the tank, under the lights. If thats all the light you have, and you put it in the center...you wouldnt be able to put corals at the end of a 100gal long tank.

I have a JBJ light fixture aside from the Nano Lights. The JBJ is (1) 96W 10K CF
and (1) 96W 03 CF. I'm not going to add any more critters, just the 20-30 shrooms and polyps-zoos from nano after cycle. I just don't want to moth ball this project. I've been buying and studying for 6 mos now in preparation for the new tank.
I've done great so far (7 mos) with the nano and really excited about the 100gal. But I don't want to make a mistake and need to stop halfway. The house could come at any time. With just the LR/LS and few critters, I'm pretty sure they can make a successful transition. Even a tank full of LR and LS is fun to look at, heck I have fun just looking at the fish dept at the local grocery store. :shocked!:

Well..if the house is that close..why not wait. The less stress on the critters, the better right?

I know buuuuuuutttt........ If the house thing doesn't happen for a while then I would have missed out. I will only have A BUNCH of LR and 5-6 small invert colonies. Just basically a tank of LR. Besides, I think my current Nano (12gal)inhabitants would be healthier in a much more stable env. This will eventually be their permanent home. Just thought I would give the LS/LR some time to mature in peace.

well..the short version is that it wont hurt anything to move it over. The lights you have will work provided you keep the corals directly under them.

Squishy

Thanks Squishy...........
Would the 96W blue and 96W 10k be enough to start coraline growth? I'm kinda over crowding my 12gal and thought I could kill two birds with one stone.. I could cycle the 100lbs LR/LS and give the nano inhabitants a roomy home. Just shrooms and polyps.

On another note. Could I try propigating my shrooms and riccordias in the same tank or would the toxin levels still be too high for the already existing corals. I figure with a skimmer and the larger tank, I could at least try it it one or two?Juat a guess. Maybe this question should be another thread all together?

i would wait! buying your first house is an experience in itself not to mention all the expense that goes with it. also moving an aquarium that size is not the easiest thing to move not to mention all the livestock.

i would wait! buying your first house is an experience in itself not to mention all the expense that goes with it. also moving an aquarium that size is not the easiest thing to move not to mention all the livestock.

Tmac...I agree with you, but I can understand his eagerness.

Oh...I'm currently in the process of building my first home. I know exactly what your talking about.

Back
Top Bottom