LR sources??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi -- I've got a 55 gal that's been cycled for quite a while, with a couple of damsels that are doing fine. I'm now ready to stock it up with LR before getting any other fish, and have recently (re)discovered the sticker-shock. Between the two LFS in my area, it's either $6 or $7 a pound.

Soooooo, turning to Mr Google, I found:

www.aquacon.com (25# for ~$140)
www.marinedepotlive.com (44# for $160), and
www.liverocks.com (cultured 20# for $105)

Does anyone have good or bad advice about any of all of these sources? Also, I'm planning on about 40-50 punds worth -- is that about right?
Thanks.

Matt

if you search aquacon on here you will find alot of people really really suggest you run away from that site with your hand on your wallet for protection.

marinedepot rock is from fiji and its the same basic rock you get if you order from liveaquaria or many of the other sources selling fiji rock.

liverocks.com is FL aquacultured rock. They are also a sponsor here and if you look in the sponsor forum you will see their forum and many happy customers responses about them and even some acutal photos of the rock that they recived.

When you get your rock I would suggest curing it in a seperate container. The reason is to prevent a possible ammonia spike in your display tank from any live rock dieoff.

Thanks for the help. As for curing, what's involved with that? If I understand correctly, the "live rock" I get at the LFS is already cured, whereas the rock from Liverocks.com is not -- true? If so, how big of a mess am I asking for? I'm not sure a smelly tank will go over well ;-)

Matt

Hi Zack --
The tank is 55 gal and established for about 8 months. I've got about 5# of live rock already from the LFS, two damsels, and an anemone (impulse purchase at the time). Should I plan to re-cure your rock? I've got a 30 gal tank empty in the basement that I suppose I could set up for curing, but it would be great to get away without doing so.

BTW, I'm in Maryland. Thanks, and I appreciate any advise.

Matt

I'm not Zack but yes you will get some die off. The 30 gal would make a good "curing" tank. Do you have filter, heater ETC for it?

I understand your concerns. I just finished curing my LR. It was a fair amount of work, but if you can be prepared, you'll be psychologically ready.

I got my LR from liverocks.com and they are great to deal with. The rock is beautiful, but like the other suggestions, have a place to cure it separately, or prepare a smaller QT and use your current tank to cure the rock (perhaps a less attractive option with the anenome). I had 2 damsels in a cycled tank that I added the rock to. I ended up moving one damsel (the other died) to a QT because of the ammonia spike. If you see very little die-off and ammonia spikes, at least you'll have spared your current tank inhabitants.

As for the process, I believe there's an article on this. Basically it involves doing regular water changes and extracting dead things. I did up to 15-25% daily for just over a week before my ammonia levels came down from 4-8 to 1. Make sure you have plenty of salt on hand (if you make your own SW) and dechlorinator (if you use tap water).

Just another comment about the LR from liverocks.com. I checked my LFS for LR and wondered why they called it live after seeing what was on the LR from liverocks.com. :D

I hope that helps,

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff -- that puts it in perspective. I'll probably go with Liverocks.com, but will need to wait for when I can set up the other tak for curing and attend to it properly.
M

if you get some sand from the fish store you can put it at the bottom of your tank and make live sand while curing your rock. what happens is the levels( amonia and trites) in the tank cause the critters to seek refuge so they go into the sand, at least thats how it was explained to me. but live sand will help also, how many pounds of rock are you looking to get? liverocks is a great place for live rock.. good luck with all

Back
Top Bottom