LT anemonies move to back of rocks why???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skennelly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 LTA's and they always want to move towards the back of my tank behind all the rocks where no one can view them. I have one that moved behind the rocks and then opened bigger then I've ever seen it. Why do do this?

Also what are the light charactoristics of LTA's is it possible they move into the rocks to get away from the light?

Thanks

There could be several different factors here:

Filtration. Too much, or too little. These LTA's like a brisk flow on them, but not over powering.
Lighting. Could be in certain spots that the lighting may be better. What kind of lighting do you have? MH is ideal. PC's will work sometimes, but they may need to be closer to the light.
How long have you had them?

Mike

Salttanker - I have 4 110 watt vho lights and I would say decent flow throughout the tank, but nothing overpowering. I haven't had them for more than a few weeks. I know they probably need more time to adapt to the tank.

Indy - Nice insight.....but my question was directed at what makes them happy back there. I'm happy where ever they move as long as they are healthy and looking good. If there are things I could do to encourage them to move to the front of the tank I would like to do it.

It could be just a period of acclimation then. With Anemone's, they will settle down where ever they are most comfortable and usually will not move. Mine has been in the same place for about 4 months now. It could be that the back area is where they are the most comfortable. Generally, LTA's like pretty moderate lighting.
You won't be able to move them. They will probably just end up back in the same place. It could just be lighting acclimation from one tank to another. When you got them, were they in a tank with standard NO? If so, they are probably just getting used to the new lighting. Keep an eye on them and let us know how they are making out.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom