MACNA XVII Day 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well here I am at Macna. This is my first time at such an event and its very cool... So far I have only meet up with Fluff and Devilishturtles. So if there are other AA members here please introduce yourselves. I am one of the ones doing the AV.

Below I will try to summarize as best I can the speakers and topics that where covered.

This years MACNA is all about education and conservation within the hobby. Today we got to hear from what I would consiter very high profile speakers and today was just a taste of what is to come tommorow and Sunday morning.

We started out the afternoon with Timothy R.E. Kenney. Timothy is the Cairman for the Coral Reef Taskforce. For those whom are unfimular with the CRTF you can obtin information as to what their purpose is by visiting http://www.coralreef.gov/ Here is a breif snip from their webpage

In June 1998, the U.S. Coral Reef Task Force (USCRTF) was established by Presidential Executive Order 13089. Our mission is to lead, coordinate, and strengthen U.S. government actions to better preserve and protect coral reef ecosystems.

After Timothy spoke Walt Smith (thats right the same Walt Smith that imports live rock and corals from Fiji) showed some photos from last years MACNA FIJI trip winners. The total price for this trip is valued at $10,000. One set of lucky attendiees at this years MACNA will also win the very same trip. It was so cool seeing photos from the winners trip. The pics that they took while they toured Walt Smith's coral farm, the photos from the numberious dive trips they where able to enjoy. Cleary this was a trip of a life time.

Joe Starinchak came on after Walt to discuss "Habitatitude" and the creating of a conservation mindset. Joe flashed up an interesting statistic that said over 13 million households have some form of aquaria in them. He went on to discuss that often times the aquarists is the one that gets blaimed for the introduction of non native species. While I agree with him that we are not to blaime for all introduction of non-naitve species I do have to belive there are hobbists that have taken a non-native species out to the local creek, stream, river or even the ocean to release a fish that no longer fit their desires or size of their tank. A website http://www.habitattitude.net/ Again here is a snip from the website

HabitattitudeTM is about consumer awareness and responsible behaviors. By drawing attention to the potential environmental ramifications of the aquarium and water garden hobbies while promoting responsible consumer behaviors, HabitattitudeTM avoids the definition debate surrounding "invasive species." Ultimately, the campaign seeks to eliminate the transfer and survival of any species outside of your enclosed, artificial system, which has the potential to cause the loss or decline of native plants and animals.

Jessica Spino gave a very interesting presentation on a recent major renovation at the Balt Aquarium. She described how they totally redid one of the main display tanks that was 2500+ gal. The dimensions she gave where something like this. 12' long X 7' wide X 3' deep. The tank was first setup in 1985 and after close to 20 years of use and advances in aquarium technology and information there was quite a bit to be done to bring the tank 'up to todays standards'.

The final presenter before dinner was a very very special guest in my opinion. Mr James Connaughton whom is the Chairman of the White House Councel on Enviormental Quality as well as being the Chairman for the Cabinet Committee on Ocean Policy. Mr. Connaughton described the many steeps this administration has taken over the last 5 years to improve or at the least lay the ground work in the form of govt legislation to improve our oceans, streams and other water ways. Additional information on the committee on ocean policy can be found here http://ocean.ceq.gov/
On December 17, 2004, President Bush established by Executive Order a Cabinet-level “Committee on Ocean Policy” to coordinate the activities of executive branch departments and agencies regarding ocean-related matters in an integrated and effective manner to advance the environmental and economic interests of present and future generations of Americans. The Chairman of the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ), James L. Connaughton, also serves as Chairman of this Committee.

I strongly encourage all saltwater hobbists to check out those websites I listed above. Each of them cointains important information that will enable this hobby to continue to be unregulated/selfregulated. With out proper conservation now future generations will most likly not be able to enjoy the pleasures of keeping saltwater aquariums.

The day ended with Robert "Bob" Fenner giving a wonderful presentation on the life found in the Red Sea area as well as showing a video from a recent diving trip to the Red Sea. For those whom may not know Mr Fenner is also the author of such books The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists, Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibilty, A Fishwatcher's Guide to The Saltwater Aquarium Fishes of the World.

Today was one of the short days. Here is just a glimps of what is on tap for tommorow. Remember those whom are within easy driving distance its not to late. You can come by and get a one day pass to attend all or as many lecture sessions as you wish.

Sat

Morning speakers will be speaking in one of four rooms for approximatly one hour each on numberious topics. For a full breakdown on the topics and speaking locations and times reference the MACNA schedule here http://www.macnaxvii.com/pages/program.htm

Todd Barber and John Walch, Jay Hemdal, Steven Pro, Zack Schwartz (Zack from LR.com), John Brandt, Dr Sanjay Joshi, Dirk Petersen, Michael Janes, Drew Weiner, David Saxby, Rebecca Swenson and Jeff Morgan.

In the afternoon we all gather in the ball room for the following sessions. Jorge A Gomezjurado, Frank E Muller-Karger, Anthony Calfo, Dana Riddle and Eric Borneman. Eric will then have a frag seminar at the FragExchange.com booth in the exhibt hall. Just thing you would walk away with a 'free' frag that Eric Borneman himself fragged. You will also be learning from someone whom knows just about the most about fragging as anyone could.

The post Gala Banquest brings our key note speaker Mr Jon B Hoech who will be talking about "Project White Shark at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in HI.

I had a great time today. Finally met Aaron (I don't know what they would have done if you were not there to save some of those presentations when they went wrong, lol) and Fluff (whom I've met before). The sessions were very cool, and I personally enjoyed the James Cannaughton's seminar on the Ocean Policy. Was just interesting to me to see how much the ocean impacts everyday life and the danger it faces today.

Bob Fenner was very interesting and comical. It was also nice to put a face to his name. He sat at our table and greeted Fluff and I, while he was autographing his book for another conventioner. He even put his hand on her shoulder! It was an exciting time. He showed some AMAZING pictures of some amazing fish. I learned alot about the Red Sea, and other things, just from his session alone.

Looking forward to tommorow. 8)

I have to agree that Bob Fenner seems to be a very cool individual. One added benifit of doing AV for the sessions is working closely with the presentors before the talks.

For the record I think Bob's presentation had a blank slide in it.

I'm here and haven't seen a soul (doesn't help that I don't know what you all look like)! I've generally got an entourage of about 4 people with me (mostly big burly guys, lol).

If you see me hollar!

Hey Phyllis, we finally met up toward the evening. Glad to hear you could get into the Gala. It was indeed a packed house but the meal and the shark program was definatly worth the wait to get in and the tight seating.

The entertainment at the end of the night was a hoot aswell. If govt was really like that more veople would pote. Opps. ....people would vote...

What a wonderful weekend. I'm exhausted but it was such an awesome experience. I'm thinking of going to Texas next year for MACNA XVIII! :D
I'll write up more on the event later, I gotta roll for now but, it was nice seeing fishfreek and devilishturtles again as well as meeting Phyl. Sorry we missed you bound_for_obx. :(

Oh fishfreek, you are right. That satyr at the end of the reception was hysterical!!!! :lol: "veople would pote" INDEED! :lol:

WOW! What an amazing trip. I am glad I got to meet you in person Aaron and wanted to thank-you for all your great AV work. I am very much impressed with the way the ideas of conservation and education were talked about and I hope every hobbyist can learn something from the presentation.

If you did miss MACNA and are interested in seeing these talks, I know they will have dvds on sale correct Aaron?

Yes that is correct. I dont know when the DVD's will be ready but we taped all the sessions as best we could given our resources and will compile them into a DVD. We also plan on including all the presentors presentations as files for reference. I belive this was done for the last MACNA in Boston aswell.

Zack, All I heard was rave reviews from your presentation. Everyone was very impressed. It was also a pleasure meeting you. Im not the best with direct person to person meetings so I hope you didnt think I was being short when I had to run off every litttle bit.

Hopefully I have made a few contacts from MACNA that will give us a much better presence in the world of conservationists. I hope to be partnering with a few conservation orginizations in the near future.

Great discussion was started from my talk and I hope for some great results in the general education of our hobby in the future.

Thanks again for all your help Aaron and keep us updated if you hear anymore on the DVD's.

Back
Top Bottom