Macro Algae Info Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I am thinking about getting some macro algae for the fuge to cut back on phosphates. Here are a few questions.

1. What type of macro algae do you recommend? (Anything I should know about it, before I get it)

2. What type and how much lighting will I need?

3. What kind of maintence does macro require?

Thanks! :)

chaeto(brillo pad) is the best, IMO. Does not need much light and will not go sexual on you.

I have some caulerpa as well that has not caused me problems but some don't like it becasue it can go sexual. I use a 20 watt PC mogul base bulb(6500K) with a cheap light fixture from HD and light my fuge on a reverse schedule as my tank.

HTH

I just dropped mine in the fuge. I have some growing in a HOB filter I am using as a mini-fuge for my nano as well. No light on that one. It gets a little light from the canopy but that is it.

Rev
I also have some caulerpa too in my fuge....I just got some from the LFS and shoved it in the sand that is down there with the LR rubble. I have a 20 watt light as well and left it on 24/7. However didnt like the results as it was growing but way to slow. I bought 2- 75 watt energy effecient halogens and this has caused it to go crazy. Its coverning my rubble and all in my sump...so far so good.

I've got a 28watt PC fixutre on my fuge and you just drop it in...... I recommend chaeto too from everything I've read..... Put some in my tank a week or so ago....

Here is what I am experimenting with:

fuge2.jpg

Just a small 15w 6500K bulb over a HOB fuge. The Chaeto appears to be growing but I have not been measuring untl just yesterday. While growing, some of it is browning as well. I am hoping this is just because it is acclimating to new lights. Hopefully this AC300 fugre turns out good results for me and get those nitrates down to zero.

That is the same as I have it on my 10 gal nano but I don't light the fuge. My canopy reflects enough light to the filter area. Stuff keeps growing out of the filter into the tank :)

Where is the best place to get it, and how much would you suggest getting for the 75g? The fuge is a 10g inside a 30g sump.

I picked mine up off of ebay.... was happy with what I got... I wouldnt worry too much about how much you initially get becuase it will grow......

Back
Top Bottom