Macro algae or mangroves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Macro algae or mangroves?

I have been thinking of having a macro algae section in the sump to complement the skimmer.

But i was reading today in one of my books that mangroves can be just as good if not better then maro algae. I have heard many people saying that mangroves are no good at nutrient export. But i read that they need weeks to acclimatise to the aquariums conditions, 2-6 weeks, and then they dont have there full impact on water quality untill 3-6 months. So could it be people dont like them becuase they dont have an immdeiate impact on water quality. I can see a few advantages of mangroves over macro algae, in that it doesnt go sexual, ie caulerpa, and it doesnt need harvesting as much, ie caulerpa or chaetomorpha.

So what do you guys about both the macro algae and mangroves.

Andrew

I use mangroves, IMO they are far more effective in removing nutrients then macro. Yet macro can also be fed to some fish. It seems best to go with one or the other, since the mangroves tend to use more nutrients then the macro, and they (depending on how many) can out compete the macro.

cool thanx, i think ill go for some mangroves. I am setting up a 220 gal tank, so howmany mangroves do you think is about right, as i have heard from as much as one mangrove to 5 gals, and one mangrove to 20 gals? Also i was thinking of using just a normal t8 tube for the plants in trpical tanks, does this sound okay?

I just bought 10 mangroves for $11 including shipping off of eBay and they arrived with no problem. I acclimated them to salt water in a spare tank and they are now floating with styrofoam in my fuge. I also have some Ulva algae in there right now that is pulling a lot of nutrients out, but I harvest that for my tangs so it should not last for more than 4 to 6 months. If it goes sexual I will pull it all quickly. I will post pics and results as they come.

As far as how many... that is up to you. IMO they are not to effective until their root system matures. I think 10 would be plenty, and they would get more effective as they age.

cool thanx six-line, its so weird that you get so many different oppinions on how many.

would they be okay in the sump in some polystyrene (spelling?) untill they get there roots going. In the sump have just live rock and no sand etc. And Have around 40cm above the water line for them to grow, with a t8 tube for a planted troplical tank, the ones meant for the plants.

Andrew

Im assuming you mean float them with the styrofoam? If thats what you mean yes that would work. Mine are planted in an 8" sand bed, and are doing well. I have about 12, and I think 4 aren't going to make it which is ok since I can get them locally. I added them about 2 months ago, and there just now starting to sprout large leaves. Roots are everywhere by now, I actually only have a light for my macro which are on the left side of the fuge, and they are in basic darkenss. They don't seem to require much light, but I am going to add a small 40 watt incandescent light for them. Your light should be fine, just make sure its not to close to them, or to bright as this can burn the leaves.

cool thanx for the help. yeah styrofoam = polystryene (its an over the water thing). I was thinking of going this so that, the ones i will get will have leaves, the leaves will be out the water but the stem/roots in the water.

andrew

Back
Top Bottom