Macro algae vs phosphate reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markodeniro

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am weighing up the options of either getting a phosphate reactor or macro algae to grow in my sump. Anyone have experience in which one is more effective?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

i use a lot of macros in my predator tank but they also need lots of attention trimming and such , they help cut down phosphates but there's always a detectable amount
I find phosban to work best in my main tank , if you don't mind the extra work macro's will work but need constant attention as they grow fast , macro's are also a good way of telling if your water chemistry is out of whack , so it can be corrected
but if your new to sw I would recommend a reactor over macro
once you get more comfortable than take on the macro challenge

this is a macro tank I had a while back before I upgraded
lots of work and constant attention helps for a healthy macro tank
60069-albums11506-picture63003.jpg

I use both. When things decompose, they break down into nitrates and phosphates. It is about a 16:1 ratio. The macros will manage the nitrates mostly. In my tank, the phosphates were the issue that algae just wasn't managing well enough...well, it was just in my display where I didn't want it! So, I use products like GFO or Phosguard to directly impact the phosphates along with macro algae.

Brilliant thanks for the advise looks like I may have to get both then....

I use both. When things decompose, they break down into nitrates and phosphates. It is about a 16:1 ratio. The macros will manage the nitrates mostly. In my tank, the phosphates were the issue that algae just wasn't managing well enough...well, it was just in my display where I didn't want it! So, I use products like GFO or Phosguard to directly impact the phosphates along with macro algae.

I assume you use those in a reactor. I want a reactor, but it's slightly further down the list on my "things to get", I have been putting phosguard in media bags and put it in my sump, in a high flow area. Not as good as a reactor, but I hear can still be effective, I may need more as I only see a very minute impact.

Because of clumping, I have given up on reactors and have made a space in my sump that holds phosgard.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Because of clumping, I have given up on reactors and have made a space in my sump that holds phosgard.

Is that bagged in flow in the sump? Have many people got macro algae? I don't mind putting the time in as long as it is effective at the minute I use a small canister filter with a bag of rowaphos in it for my 20G but looking at a better solution for my 80G

Technically, all of us have macro algae. Even hair algae is a macro algae. It is just what we like to look at and what we look at as a pest. In the end, it is all utilizing it for benefit.

I built a little box to make a bed of phosgard. The flow fills that box and a part of it goes thru the bed. I stir the bed up once a week.

Back
Top Bottom