Macro Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amphibianboy528

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this algea?I hear about it alot.I saw a site that said it can purify SW aquarium tank water.I want to put some in my 25 gallon tank.

It is a Macro Algae, but can go sexual, ruining the water quality. You would want to put it in a refugium, with the lights on 24/7 or prune it frequently to prevent this. Some people have put it in the display with success, but it does need to be maintained.

There are many types of Macro Algae, some which you may prefer over others.

For refugiums, many people are fond of "Brillo Pad" algae.

For feeding Tangs and Angels, Ulva & Red Gracillaria are frequently used.

Be aware that snails may find this delicious.

There are several I haven't mentioned, so if they don't appeal to you, do a search, and you should find some you like.

Well my LFS sells some and they are green with little bumps at some points that are bunched together,the are like free floating plants.And how do you put the in display because a 25 gallon is a little too small for a refugium i think.

Sounds like Caul. to me. You could probably wedge it between some rocks. As long as you keep it trimmed, it could add some beauty to your tank.

I don't see why it would be too small. If you have the cash (eBay has 'em for cheaper), a CPR HOB refugium might be right up your alley. I love mine.

i would really reccommend cheato algae, they sell it online for really cheap (you can get it from hobbysits on ebay at rock bottom prices, it grows like a weed) and this tkype of macro doesnt go sexual.

i have a 10g and i made a modified refugium out of an aquaclear 500 filter for about 40 bucks when all was said and done.

Back
Top Bottom