Macro tank beginners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacharyan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any advice on macro tanks? I've done many freshwater tanks very successfully in my years but I've recently gained interest in macros. What do I need to get started im wanting to do a 10 gallon with small inverts

Macro algae? You'd just need a basic light with the standard saltwater requirements. Algae is easy to keep, and even the nuisance algae like hair algae fall under the macro category.

Macro algae? You'd just need a basic light with the standard saltwater requirements. Algae is easy to keep, and even the nuisance algae like hair algae fall under the macro category.
I've heard most salt keepers use RODI water and some say tap water is fine, I have what is to be considered "good" tap water on my home filter system that removes chorine and other stuff out of the water is it common to use tap water? I'm planning to use a UNS all in one tank with a twin star 450

In general we don't use tap. But if you aren't talking about doing really sensitive corals or inverts, there shouldn't be too much reason why you couldn't do it. When my ro/di went down many years ago I used distilled, but even that caused algae growth in my tank from the nutrients that came in from it. This could be something used to your advantage depending on end result growth.

Back
Top Bottom