Macros in fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudzie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can different types of algae be grown together in fuge, would like to grow some of the red gracilaria for tang. lfs getting some in fri, just not sure how hard it is to grow?

I second the Chaeto and Caulerpa. I have both and it's doing a great job. I have one other micro algae in there but its so late I can't remember what it is. Anyways, they all do a great job keeping nitrates in check. The Caulerpa does grow faster than Chaeto does (so trimming happens more often), even more so with 24hr lighting on the fuge. Hope this helps.

Stay Salty,

Thanks, im still trying to find out about this red algae that the tangs are supposed to be crazy about?anyone grow this?lighting 24/7?higher flow really needed etc..

I'm not an expert but what I've been reading, run your fuge light opposite of dt light
Supra

I used to run my fuge light opposite my dt light. But I still ended up having PH swings at night. So I run my fuge light 24/7. I just use a screw in florescent 6500k bulb and it works great. I no longer have Ph swings and my micro is growing nicely.

Stay Salty,

Photosynthetic periods max at like 18ish hours( not 100% sure on that but I know it is not 24 hours) and this means you are doing nothing beneficial by having them on that long. Instead have them come on 2 hours before your dt lights shut off then run them all night and have them shut off when your dt lights come on. Btw your ph will swing no mater what you do, and it all depends when you take the test.

Thanks but i do get a lot of mixed info on weather its better to run lights all day or not, starting to look like personal preference?still hoping to hear of anyone having luck growing this graciliara parvispora, i believe thats the name of algae that tangs are supposed to be crazy for?? Thanks again for all input..

i haven't had luck with the stuff they call "tang heaven". i heard it really needs to tumble and won't keep alive in closed systems. i bought a couple gallon bags of it to try once on a couple year old system, and it all eventually died off. this is the stuff i purchased-
114364846269.239.236.221.jpg

Back
Top Bottom