Mag Float Magnet & Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All!

Magnet Questions:
1. Should I have a Magnet in my 75g reef tank?
2. What does it work?
3. Does it work?

Pump Questions:
I am setting up a sump and am either going to use a 20g or 30g. My tank also has a builtin overflow that I am using, with two drilled holes. One is 2" and the other is 1.5". The tank is 75g.
1. What size pump should I get?
2. What Brand?
3. What size bulk heads will I need? (2 right?)
4. What do I use to seal the pvc together?

TIA! :wink:

I have a mag float, they work very well IMO. You just put one magnet on each side of the glass and slide it around to clean. Make sure you don't pick up any dirt and drag that along scractching the glass.

Not to sure on the pump size, but I've had great luck with mag drive pumps if your looking for a submersible. I also have a quiet one that I"m very happy with and they are a little cheaper than mag drive pumps.

PVC cemment works well on the pipe, and is non toxic after it dries.

as far as pump what do ya want to spend ??
if ya want the best external id go for ---iwaki md100 = 2000 gph @ 4' but $ 354.00
and lower grade mag 12 1200 gph @ 0' @ $97 or quiet one 6000 1500@ 0' $119
id go mag 18 1800gph @ 0' $110 !!

with both over flows ya wouldnt have any issues ! yes 2 bulkheads !! external pumps keep less heat out of the tank if ya didnt know this already :) gonna have to look for a 2" bulk the only ones i see in right now need either 2 3/8 th hole or next down 1 3/4 but theres one that uses 1 1/2 hole for a 1" bulkhead !!

jamal-188 said:
I have a mag float, they work very well IMO. You just put one magnet on each side of the glass and slide it around to clean. Make sure you don't pick up any dirt and drag that along scractching the glass.

Not to sure on the pump size, but I've had great luck with mag drive pumps if your looking for a submersible. I also have a quiet one that I"m very happy with and they are a little cheaper than mag drive pumps.

PVC cemment works well on the pipe, and is non toxic after it dries.

I agree. I buy Mag Drives for my sumps from www.bigalsonline.com. I also use a mag float, and PVC cement makes me happy in enclosed spaces.
dizzy.gif

a 2" hole can accomidate a 1" bulkhead that can allow about 700 gph a 1 1/2" bulkhead can go up to 1200 gph. Size the pump to that. I would look at a magdrive 12. and put a ball valve on to regulate the flow.

Back
Top Bottom