Major algae..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericosuave

Aquarium Advice Regular
what is the best way to get rid of a HUGE outbreak of hair algae? I left my tank for about 2 months, and came back to find little afro puffs of hair algae everywhere! some almost even the size of my fist!

would a lawnmower take care of this? as well as some emerald crabs?

TIA

Look to get some kind of cleaner crew. Generally they consist of some snails, some hermit crabs and possibly some mithrax crabs (not really necessary if you don't have bubble algae). Some fancier cleaner crews will have sand sifting stars or even certain types of blennies or gobies. Take a look at Drs. Foster and Smith. They have a good set up of cleaner crews to give you an idea of what to look for.

I second your initial ideas.... a lawnmower and some emeralds should take care of that nicely......

If you wanted a tang for your tank, they would cean it up. Perhpas a yellow or naso, mine LOVE that stuff.

Jim

Are you using RO water or tap? RO/DI water is the only way I could get rid of my hair algae. My tang wouldn't touch it, I had a lawnmower blenny, emerald crabs as well as lettuce nudi's and none of them really helped. What are your phosphate levels? There are other ways to battle hair algae beside adding animals. You could also try adding another type of macro to your system, like cheato, to help eat up the nutrients that the hair algae is thriving on. How long are your lights on? Maybe you could shorten your daylight time. Just wanted to throw out some other options. HTH

cool, thanks... I am using RO/DI water however.. but i went away for a while and all this algae grew in the mean time. I think im just going to get a clean-up crew, because i need one anyways.. ive never had one.

Thanks.

- Eric

...wouldn't hurt to cut down on your lighting, kick up the water flow, and change the filter cartridges often.

What is your SG at? How much water evaporated in two months? Was anyone watching the tank?

Back
Top Bottom