Major tank crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I suffered a major tank crash in my 30 gallon FO. Due entirely to my
stupidity and I feel awful. I had put some mexican turbos in there, they had died,I got busy and did not move them right away (sidetrack issue) huge ammonia spike. I did a water change yesterday morning, then this morning. Last night I lost the jawfish and a chromis, this afternoon it looks like the other 2 chromis, 2 scooters and a tomato clown are not going to make it. My husband is at home moving fish around to try to get them out of the tank....but from what he is telling me, it sounds as if it is too late.

some people are just plain stupid...

I am sorry for your loss. Please don't be too hard on yourself, we have all made these errors, if not with our tanks, in other parts of our lives. What are the ammonia levels in the tank?

when I first noticed the problem, the ammonia reading was off the chart, literally, they didnt have that color.

Now, it is at .06

I think the scooters,tomato and one chromis may make it. The chromis is in the seahorse tank, swimming rather normally. The scooters and tomato clown had to go into my sump, the scooters are swimming, the clown is just hugging the bottom...but that is actually kind of normal for him.

My big hermit crab, all small hermits and snails died.

I would continue with another water change, by tomorrow the bacteria will probably have caught up with the ammonia and it will be safe to put the fish back in. How did you acclimate the turbos? They are very sensitive to salinity changes. If you can get them to attatch the easiest way is to place them above the water line and allow them to acclimate themselves, or drip acclimate them over several hours.

This tank has no "above the water line" area, so the snails get acclimated over a long period of time .... these did not look good when they came in, water was polluted, I think they were already on their way out...

Sorry to hear about that Hara. We all get busy sometimes though. It's happened to all of us at one time or another. Hope the fish you still have will recover.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom