Making a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PyroKnoppix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My pops took up FW as a hobby while I moved away to do my own thing after highschool. Recently I moved back for a short while before I go into the service. The funny thing is I made fun of him for talking to his fish during my visit at thanksgiving thinking to myself "I'll never be one of those crazy fish people" as I bit into my turkey leg. When I moved back I slowly started to see the light. It happened in stages I guess, one of his Cichlids had babies and he gave me one that I keep in a 10g aquarium next to my computer. The other night I caught myself talking to it *shudders* so I have slowly turned into the crazy fish person I disliked:p but to the point. I'm one of those guys and so is my pops that won't settle for small, our neighbor got a 55g for 100$ and needless to say we are both jealous with are two 10g and our one 30g. So we began looking into purchasing a new tank, at first we wanted 75g. But during the superbowl I brought up the subject of going SW, after showing him some colorful Angel Fish I quickly changed his mind. While looking at pictures I fell in love with not only the fish but the reefs people had formed. so our minimum goal of 75g turned into 120g but as we both talked it over on what we would like to accomplish and the varieties of fish we want, 120g turned into 200g. the price! wow, now that we had our dream tank in mind. how could we afford it? easy, build it. We're both pretty hands on kind of guys. when we set our minds to a project it turns out good, and for the most part pretty professional looking. the hard part was finding a glass retailer close to us that sold 3/4" glass sheets for a low cost. without realizing it a hunting buddy is a part owner of glazier shop in the next town over. so we got a deal for all of our glass 250$ cut and sanded through wheeling and dealing. the hardest part will be next, putting it all together. right now we're working on reinforcing the floor of our house with some more beams to accomodate the weight that will be on it:p

Back
Top Bottom