Making own sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 55 gallon tank and going to start on corals soon. I wanted to make a sump for the tank. What exactly will I need? I can use a 10 gallon tank I have but what would I need to put in it? Then like how exactly do you connect the sump to the display tank?

Any info can help! Thanks

A 10 is small. I would start atleast with a 20 long or bigger. Is your tank drilled? If not you will need a HOB overflow box to remove the water from the tank to get it to the sump. From there it will go through what ever chamber design you choose and then be pumped back into the display tank from the return pump finishing the loop. First things first though we need to know if your tank is drilled.

Then you will need to decide whether or not you wanna drill the tank. It is the best option but isn't a must. If you decide to go with a HOB then you will need a return pump that'll closely match the siphon of the HOB along with a gate valve on the return plumbing to fine time the flow. Once you have figured all of that out then you can start designing your sump which you always wanna go as big as you can fit.

Since I have everything in the tank how would I go about drilling it?

That would be an issue. Pretty much you'd have to drain the tank and hold everything in tubs/buckets.

So what if I don't do drill, how would that work? So I know I need to get an over flow box but where do you get like the piping and stuff

Home Depot, lowes, wherever plumbing parts are sold. I recommend drilling your tank, it the overflow ever for some reason loses its suction, you will end up with an empty sump, and a wet floor. drilling the tank is super easy, drill bits are like 10 $ on eBay. A drilled tank is piece of mind that nothing goes seriously wrong.

This is the overflow box you need. It comes with a lifting pump that prevents losing siphon. I have a 60 gal DT with 10 gal sump cause its the only size that fits to my cabinet. I have to supplement my tank with 2 hang on filters but they have 2 additional functions. They act as my circulating pumps and also my back up filters when sump is under maintenance. You can get the PVC pipes and ball valves from Home Depot. My return pump is 460 gal/hr and works pretty good.

CPR CS Overflow Boxes

Even the makers of that overflow box recommend using a tank with a built in overflow. That has to say something. And the pump is only used to prime the syphon not to maintain it.

With your 10g sump what do you put in it? And you just connect the sump to the overflow box? Or how would the water get back to the sump

I drilled my tank when it was in use. Dropped the water about 7 inches. Not recommended at all but I am kind off a madman. Took the risk and worked for me. Used some orca underwater glue to seal the bulkheads and overflow box. All works great now.

So I'm just a little confused with the overflow box, all you need is that and connect the sump tank to the overflow box in the display tank?

Then also what you guys recommend....drilling or just getting an overflow?

At this rate I think I might just do an overflow box

You would also need to run a return from the sump but ya they are simple. If it were me I would just tear down the tank and do it right and drill it. Once you run a drilled tank you'll never use another HOB overflow lol.

You need a overflow box and return pipe. You can go with a hob overflow box but I personally don't like those. Big risk of a flood during power outage. Some will disagree but I've seen the disasters happen in person. I would drill a hole for the overflow box( or 2 for herbie method) an you can hang the return over the edge If you want.

If u drill get a nice bit and a press.

I have a old, what I would call modular craftsman press that you put a hand held drill in. The press is mounted to 1 inch or so steel pipe so you can do whatever you want with it for hight.

Don't get the crappy bits from lowes, burned thru 4 of them doing 6 10 gal tanks with a hose on it and low low rpm.. Just junky bits.

Also went to harbor freight (east coast) and bought a 18$ variable rpm drill so you don't wear out your fingers trying to keep the drill rpm the same.

Just what I have learned from drilling tanks, I personally wouldn't do it ever again, IMO the energy savings of one heater vs 6-9 isn't worth the hassle of drilling and plumbing.

Is using a overflow box really bad? Cuz I feel like all you guys are saying it could create a pretty bad scene if it goes wrong. But how would the return system be?

To circulate the water you must return the water drained from DT. This is done by a return pump in the sump. The trick not to have flooding is to set your max level in the sump when the DT level is at minimum. Having a lifting pump that turns on at certain intervals for just several minutes assures you not loosing the siphon action.

The biggest reason I won't to use them is the fact that in order for the siphon to work properly then your return pump needs to match very closely. With a drilled tank they can usually handle much more water then you would ever need to drain so a flood is nearly impossible.

Back
Top Bottom