Making your own base rock??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vertex

Aquarium Advice Activist
Making your own base rock...

I'm just wondering if many of you here have made your own base rock for your reef tanks. If so, can you post any pictures of the rocks and tanks using it?

I have made some from crushed oyster and cement and it forms quite nicely into good shapes but it is still curing for my tank. I'd love to see how how anyone else's tank has turned out who has made their own base rock.

FYI, the process I followed for this is by Tom Miller at
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6279/RaiseCementRock.html

Thanks!

yes i have and am making more ! its fun and easy and alot cheaper ! have no pics right now but can get some for you ! but ya cant tell the difference now between the real and the made rock so not sure if pics will do much good !

btw nice link :)

Great article Vertex. I was just in a LFS last night, and i saw some of those "live rocks" that looked like arches and tree branches. Upon closer inspectioned, i noticed the rocks had crush corals in them like the pics in the article....So now i know where those rocks came from LOL. I'm defintely going to make me some LR. :D

It's fun easy and cheap!! I"m made about 200-250lbs a few months back and am gonna make another 300+lbs this weekend. The best part is you can custom make your own rock to whatever size and shape you want!

IfoundNemo, no need for the pics, I found some online at the pages below... Its great that others have or are doing the same!! I have been wondering all this time while my rock is curing... I've just found a bunch more articles on the same topic of making LR and there are LOTS of them.

Go to www.GARF.org and in the left site browser, go to "How To - Pages" then "Aragocrete". Lots of great info and some really nice tips to help you form better structures and ideas with your own LR...

I'll post a few images of my own attempts in a few if your interested.
Enjoy!

I dropped three pics of some of the base rock that I have made in my gallery if any of you were interested in seeing it. I like how it turned out so should look fine in the tank eventually as live rock!

You people make me want to build more now but wont need it for some time with my small tank... Oh well, ENJOY! :p

Back
Top Bottom