Man-Eating Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarcothelia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So...I have had an Ocellaris clown for two years. Now that I have several corals I find myself putting my hand in the tank on a daily basis moving things around a bit and adjusting flow.

Whenever I do this my clownfish will bite my hand the entire time, once every five seconds or so. It doesn't hurt really, but when he gets a hold of my knuckle by surprise I flinch and that's not a good thing considering I've nearly dropped a rock on my plate coral as a result.

Any ways to curb his aggression? I pulled out a bit of algae over a week so, which he sleeps in.

Not that big of a deal really, but just curious. Feels like being pinched sometimes hehe.

Eh, seeing as he goes straight after my hand I think I can just scoop him up in the net and hold him prisoner until work is done. If it seems to stress him a lot I may get gloves but I prefer bare hands as do most.

Sarcothelia said:
but I prefer bare hands as do most.

Totally feel you there. Good luck with that fish! Hopefully he's not developing too much of a taste for human flesh lol

My 8 inch magnificent foxface has learned hand = food...so now even if I don't have food in my hand she will still bite my fingers....unfortunately there is no way to untrain this bad behavior that I know of...

My tomato clown likes to snap and that guy has teeth!!!
So considering that he is a little piggy I put food in the tank before I put my hand in there ;) keeps him well preoccupied
My boyfriend bought me those aquarium tongues, but I rather use my hand (better control)

I have 2bettas and one likes to bite\nibble on my fingers when i move stuff around its quite funny to watch i hope to get clownfish ..... Any pointers ?

My clowns are the same way. I kinda think it's funny but I have also found if I feed first they don't bother with my hands.

The only way to get your clowns to stop is to show who is boss...I say you should declare a thumb war!

While most of the fish in my tank come check out my hand and arm they never get close enough to touch. But, in my ponds, the koi and the pond comets come up and pet me. LOL They like to rub up against my arms but have never tried to see what I taste like.

Back
Top Bottom