Man Made saltwater vs. Nature Made saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I am curious.

How close to naturally made saltwater can we get??

Say I had a 30 gallon tank, and i wanted to fill it with 'as close to the real thing' as humanly possible, without making an 8 hour drive to any body of 'real' saltwater?

Livestock aside, filtration aside, decorations aside, sand aside, etc etc..

Basically, just water.

What chemicals / elements / nutrients would I have to add, and in what qty's?

Does anyone know?

The commercial salts on the market now for the most part are excellent. You may get debate on which one is best, but the brand name ones are all good.
Using water from the ocean is risky. Unless you get it way offshore, pollutants are a big problem not to mention parasites.
I would highly suggest sticking with commercial salt mixes.

I am using ocean water and love it. I get it from the local aquarium wich is pumping it from to ocean and filters it (best of all, it's free).IMO when you start up a tank it makes everything go faster.
Sometimes i mix myself, but only after mayor rainfall, when our ocean is too polluted.

I would just use the water from my ocean but its polluted and filty and my fish would most likely die...right now I use Instant Ocean salt

I guess it matters where you live

If you happen to live in the San Diego area, then Scripts Aquariums offers a free water service, the water is pumped from the ocean and filtered. I have been using it for years with no problems.

Thanks for the replies... I'm not really interested in keeping fish or anyother type of livestock in this water..

What i am trying here is an experiment in accretion, and wanted to see if I could get realistic 'artificial' saltwater. :-/

Looks Like my best bet is to get actual ocean water....

Thanks Guys. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom