mandarin eating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barracuda

Aquarium Advice Regular
A friend of mine brought me a mandarin(synchiropus splendidus) for my birthday-not a fish that I would have bought myself-and since I don't put anything directly into my main I put it into my QT that has no live rock 3 weeks ago. Now I know everyone says you need to have a ton of LR to keep them but this one is eating my homemade food even taking it out of mid-water, is this something anyone else has seen or is this just a starving fish trying to get some food?

Haven't seen it, but heard others tht have had luck with prepared foods. Lots of folks don't QT mandarins for feeding problems... and that they are less prone to ick I think I've read.

Congrats! You've got the best of it. A QT precaution and a mandarin eating prepared foods.

barracuda, I'm in the midst of mandarin research. Do some reading online. You should have a very mature tank as they primarily feed off pods which live on your rock. I've got 160lbs of rock and I just got a fuge and mandarin owners are still recommending that I wait 8-9 more months at the least before buying a one.

According to my lfs, he "runs into 1 out of 10 mandarins that will accept dead food", so you lucked out big time. Congrats!

I just posted this (sorry for the repeated info) http://ozreef.org/content/view/89/2/ <-- cool facts about mandarin survival in home aquaria.

Good luck. Keep me posted on his progress if you think of it.

- Skins

They do eat on pods found out the bad way ,lost mine because my tank was only 3 months now after a year i have one doing fine

you are just lucky like me...i have one in a 29 gallon fuge with a bangaii cardinal..they both devour brine shrimp...they will eat prepared foods i think alot more people give them credit for...however i do think its less nessicary to quarantine him...they have a weird slime defense that keeps the ich at bay...so get him to the main tank and get him fat

Back
Top Bottom