Mandarin Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really want one of these and I just set up a 55 gal aqarium. All of the sand and LR is from a guy who had a 120 gallon tank that was up for about two years. I was wondering if my tank will support the goby. When i look at the tank at night it is crawling with hundreds of pods all over the rocks and also the little red worms. What do u guys think?

Well...the rule on mandarins is not in a small tank, and not in a new tank.

Based on your observation of lots of copepods and the fact that you inherited mature sand and rock, it sounds like your tank is more mature than it's actual age. Hundreds...hmmm...let's hope you have way more than that. :wink:

55 gallon? Probably OK, IMO.

Agree with Brad, they are always a crap shoot. Your tank is on the border of a workable system for this fish. IMO I would give it a year or so to mature and then it may work.
Just my .002 cents.

Probably a good idea to wait on the Mandarin for a while and focus on the tank you already have until that gets situated. Once you get some more experience and the 55g gets established, you could do it.

I say wait also. I waited about 11 months, and my Mandarin is getting to be a little cow. Even after 11 months, I was still nervous about getting him, but he was wasting away in a lfs. Time will fly, and before you know it you will be sure your tank can support him. :wink:

Not a great fish for a Beginner. And your tank is kinda small...

I am worried that there may be alot of pods now, but Is there a big enough population to support the mandrin over time?

I would wait a while and get some experence first.

How much LR do you have? I've talked to people who had 120 gallons, but little LR. But you can give it time. Let them multipy for awhile, and then add one. It doesn't take long for the pods to multipy.

It doesn't take long for the pods to multipy.
It also doesn't take long for a fish like a Mandarin to deplete that supply in an aquarium. The recommended minimum is a 100lbs+ LR, and a 75+ gal. tank that is mature. Even though your using materials from an established tank, your tank will still need some time to settle and mature. I'd wait and do ALOT of research. FWIW, I would not put one in a 55, plus all those pods it's eating could instead be contributing to your clean-up crew. Just my .02cents

they are beautiful, but there are a ton of other really amazing fish that may be better for a beginner. Start with those guys and see how you feel about the mandrin later.

Back
Top Bottom