Mandarin settling in...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any mandarin owners out there - mine has been in the tank for about a month. The first couple weeks he was all over my rocks (have about 160lbs with plenty of pods - that's not a problem) picking at food. He even picks at frozen mysis every now and then. But, lately he has found his favorite corner and kind of swims around there all day...sits on the sand, and he only occasionally picks at rocks now.

Do most mandarins spend ALL day looking for food as mine did at first - or do they settle in after consuming so much at first? Mine was pretty skinny when I got him - still kind of is. Just curious if his decreased feeding is normal.

- Skins

mine still picks all the time but I feed him cultured pods so its a different kind of setup (I plan when he gets fed).

I'm not overly concerned because I do have lots of pods, but it seems odd that he's still skinny and isn't too interested in the rocks anymore.

Ive had mine for about a year now and he is still cruising around the who tank usually with his female friend mine are nice a fat give it some time

i have had mine for a year, he cruises all over eating all day, but still didnt get fat. he eats frozen mysis every other day and pods in between time. i dont know why he is not getting fat though. def eats plenty

steve r

Both of mine are constantly on the prowl. I've never seen them eat anything I've put in the tank. Both are healthy and growing. I've had them for 7 months and 9 months now (didn't see the one for a couple of months so I got another one).

Usually they somewhat slow down but yes they usually do constantly look for pods on rocks.

Pods are so small and they need a lot of them to get fulls o they have to almost constantly look for them.

Good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom