Mangroves? A few unanswered questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logman17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a newbie, and been doing A LOT of reading both online and the traditional way. I've found very little regarding the use of mangroves inside an aquarium (IE- not in sump) to help with nitrates, filtering, etc.

I've read that these can be beneficial to the nitrite/nitrate levels in the tank and was wondering if anyone is using these inside the tank?

Do they look good?

Do they require a lot of maintenance?

How tall do they grow?

Any special lighting requirements?

I'm just curious. From the little bit of information I've found on them, they seem like a good choice for pollutant reduction.

Anyone have any opinions, good or bad, regarding mangroves?

---Logan

I understand they will get tall. Taller than the tank I think. No personal experience though. Quite expensive too I understand. Over $40 bucks at least.

I actually use them in my sump, and they are very good at reducing Nitrates. If you prune them they will grow more bushy and less tall, so it is controllable with very little effort. As for them being expensive, that all depends on how you buy them. I bought mine on eBay as pods with root stems and paid $10 for 10 plants. I soaked them in fresh water to start and acclimated them over a week before I planted them in my fuge. Since then they have grown well and are eliminating my nitrates. I do nto see any problem with putting in the main tank except that they do need to grow out of the water and it may take forever if you tank is deep, and then they need some space vertically as well. If you can try them, they seem to work great for me.

Thanks for the quick response.
I wasn't sure that they had to grow out of the tank. I have a cover on mine, so thy woul d only grow out 2-3" - would this be enough?

I think I would also buy the pods, maybe from ebay or liveaquaria.

Do they take long to root and grow?

-Logan

I have had mine for 6 months and they have a massive root complex and have grown to about 18 inches from a 6 inch pod. Actually some are tall and some are still coming out. I think it depends on the maturity of pod and the specimen itself. They are fun to watch though.

How many is necessary to remove pollutants?
Is there a "magic" formula (1per 20g / 1 evert 6", etc...)

I have 47.5 gallow, 39" long, 20" tall, 16" wide.

I would like to put them in a sort of row fromation alone the back wall. Would 1 every 6" work? That works out to be 6-7.

-Logan

Back
Top Bottom