Mangroves in a Reef Tank..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been reading a lot about mangroves and how they absorb nitrates and also give a very natural look to the tank, as well as being placed in the sump and also used in entire mangrove filtration systems, well, how would I go about adding them into my system? Are there different types? Do they need much light? I would love to have these in my tank, all help is appreciated guys!

Mangroves aren't very effective...they grow slow and you need a ton of them to clean out the type of levels we would look as being effective in our systems. You are better off with a refugium or an ATS.

Mangroves aren't very effective...they grow slow and you need a ton of them to clean out the type of levels we would look as being effective in our systems. You are better off with a refugium or an ATS.

Ah boo lol how about just the cosmetic aspect then?

They are cool as a display of that part of the ecosystem, but as a method of nitrogen export, they are not very efficient and take some significant care.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388353308.502505.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388353251.597073.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388353251.597073.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 191
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388353281.402017.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388353281.402017.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 121
Awesome tank greg, thats what I want mainly just a cosmetic additive lol are they're that high maintenance?

They require proper lighting and placement. The biggest issue is washing the leaves. They collect salt residue from evaporation on the leaves, so they need a rain shower almost every day to clean the leaves. In the natural rain forest, this isn't an issue. This tank is in my favorite LFS. I like it that it's the main display, most folks try to grow mangroves in their refugiums. A ball of chaeto is more efficient and easier to care for.

Last edited:
Well, it is an issue in the rain forest... It just has rain to clean it off naturally.

But it rains almost every day. If you could arrange to have your top off system rain on the leaves, that looks like it might work, but you are adding saltwater as top off. Might work out in the end. Better off setting it up so the wash water on the leaves goes down a drain, but then you have a situation where the mangroves are removing salt from the system. Either way, the leaves have to be kept clean.

Last edited:
There was a big tank in Germany that did that to simulate daily storms as top off. Was really neat. Way above my skills though. Remind me to call my southern neighbors at Ecotech rising gets a future product!
But actually on topic, they look tobe cool but after a certain size you have to remove and start all over again I'd love to have them on my system for looks, but it doesn't work out well normally. If you have a big house a tree can be doable, just suggest a plastic container over glass for one in attempt to avoid weight issues.

So efficient lighting and salt wipe offs daily? Thats it? How about in my filter like this one??

Attachments

• mangroves.jpeg
    mangroves.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 121
****, well display wise how would I put em in? Leaves under water if they're not tall enough?

Back
Top Bottom