Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no idea but there is a video on YouTube of a guy actually picking up a zebra mantis with his bare hands maybe their more chill? Idk to be honest but it looks tight

I have no idea but there is a video on YouTube of a guy actually picking up a zebra mantis with his bare hands maybe their more chill? Idk to be honest but it looks tight

i watched that video the other day lol

Big-j said:

What is the name if the video?

If any I would definintely not keep a spearer, which is what is in the video above. Those would be the ones that could more likely kill your fish.

But they're kept in species only tanks because they'll kill any inverts you have in there, except maybe snails. I've seen them kill anything from emerald crabs to CBS to urchins. Plus they're just awesome on their own, you should see how much decorating of their own they can do if you give them the pieces!

iDream said:
If any I would definintely not keep a spearer, which is what is in the video above. Those would be the ones that could more likely kill your fish.

But they're kept in species only tanks because they'll kill any inverts you have in there, except maybe snails. I've seen them kill anything from emerald crabs to CBS to urchins. Plus they're just awesome on their own, you should see how much decorating of their own they can do if you give them the pieces!

About how much do they cost.

I've been doing a lot of research about these guys because I'm thinking about getting a species only tank for one. From what I've read, nothing is really safe from these guys.

The spearers will most certainly kill a fish, unless you have a very large fish. But then you might have to worry about the mantis becoming the prey.

As far as smashers go, I've read about people keeping fish with them for awhile, but it's still risky. If the smasher gets hunger, watch out fish.

The people I know that have kept mantis shrimp they are in a species only tank. The do get to know the people that feed them and will actually beg for food and allow them to be touched. I really think a peacock mantis is the prettiest one I have seen.

As far as cost it depends a lot of people don't want them when they come in on the rock and will give them away. The common green one that I saw for sale was $15 at a LFS it was actually caught in the rock tank.
Lime Green Mantis Shrimp | Invertebrates | PetSolutions

I'm not sure about price but probably around $20-50.

If it were me I'd definitely be doing a species only tank to be safe, don't want your fishy friends or the mantis becoming dinner for anyone

They will kill and eat nearly anything, a lot of people with smasher type of mantis find feeding them a snail or crab actually keeps them healthier. They are a very interesting animal and worth having a species only tank IMO.

My lfs has zebras for 15 and peacocks for 30. Eventually all fish will be prey as mantis grows. So species only would be best way to protect your investment. Also, They are messy eaters and can quickly fowl water. Knowing all that, I still want one. Thought about putting it in fuge but seems counter productive.

Shrimp

Six different kinds. I have never seen some of these. Not that I have seen tons of them.

The bumble bee has spears!

Tiger only gets 3 inches.

Back
Top Bottom