Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking into starting a mantis tank. I have a 20 gallon setup that I would like to use for a single mantis. The problem I have run into is that I can not find anywhere that sells them. I know that they are nuissances in any SW tank with fish or inverts, but I think it would be great to have a dedicated tank for one of these guys. Does anyone know where I could order one?

Thanks

My LFS had one just the other day. Looked to be about 2-3", which is a pretty big one. They can be very attractive when they get that big. Better have thick aquarium glass if you want to keep the big ones! :lol:

Actually, I am using an acrylic tank for that very reason. Of course, I need to find a mantis first.

My LFS had one a couple weeks ago, it was gorgeous, but I don't have the tank cycled yet so I couldn't get it. That's the only time I've seen one there.

there are basicly two types of mantis spears and smashers the most common is the peacock a smasher they get about six inches if you have any other questions i would be glad to help you

there are basicly two types of mantis spears and smashers the most common is the peacock a smasher they get about six inches if you have any other questions i would be glad to help you

The peacock is exactly what I'm looking for . . . I want one with a lot of color.

Is it possible to set up a reef tank with a mantis shrimp? I think it would be neat to have a bunch of colorful corals with a mantis lurking around. Let me know what you think about that. Thanks!

I have one that's about 2 inches and bright red. Smasher type. With some luck, I'll be able to ship him to you. I just gotta trap him! I have another that is about half an inch and is more greenish. Hopefully I'll have him caught soon too.

Is it possible to have more than one mantis in a tank if they are well fed? I know they are extremely aggressive towards just about everything else, but I wasn't sure how they would behave if they were the only inhabitants.

Also, would I be able to put some corals in a tank with a mantis? Do they destroy corals as well, or just fish and inverts?

I don't think you can keep two together, even well fed. I also don't believe they pose a threat to corals. At least the one I had never bothered corals. Just desecrated my snail population.

Back
Top Bottom