Mantis shrimp make good pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Liverock.com hitchhiker is a green one that has grown to about 1.5". I don't think he's getting any larger.

I bought him a 2.5 gallon system and he lives alone in it. When I do water changes from the main system, he gets the used water. I frequently forget to top up his tank with FW and often dump large amounts of FW in to top up. This doesn't seem to phase him, they're pretty tough guys.

Very entertaining pet. I'm glad I've kept him rather than...

mfrei64 said:
So do you have fish? Or just cats........my fish are having night mares.....!!!!

I've kept fish with mantis successfully long term. Smashers prefer snails and crabs and rarely go after fish unless they are starving. Spearers will go after fish but are not LR hitchhikers because they live in sand.

The fear of mantis is greatly exaggerated. Most deaths that get blamed on them are really due to NTOS (New Tank Owner Syndrome). Beyond that, being terrifed of a small hitchhiking mantis is like being terrified of kittens because lions can kill people. Sure they are in the same family but one is definately more dangerous than the other.

I would agree with the small ones...under two inches. But if you get ones that grow to 5 to 6 inches, forget it......they'll go after fish too. And they are fast.

Back
Top Bottom