Marine ich with corals and inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff2100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Hope you can help :facepalm: I have a 90gal tank full of live sand, rock and inverts. I lost 8 fish (Full fish stock) about 7 weeks ago to Marine Ich I did a 20% water change about 7 weeks ago. All me water levels look good and on Friday I started to add fish (2 clowns) again thinking it would now be ok:hide: but within 48hrs both where crab food:banghead:!!!! I didnt do any hypo treatment as I was told not to due to my tank set-up I dont want to try ooeninx as I've been told to many bad things about it.

Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance(y)

leave the tank empty without fish for a few months till the ich parasites die, doing a hyposalinity treatment and raising the temp to about 82 degrees will not really harm the corals and inverts to much but will speed up the life cycle of the parasites. adding fish will just lengthen the life cycle of it as it will have a host to cling to and live off of.

eithere this or treat the water with a reef safe medication and hope for the best. next time it is best to QT your fish before putting them in your main display or make sure your LFS does their own so a fish doesn't carry ich from system to system

thanks Leo,

I'm concerned about lowering my SG to 1.010 with the inverts, I was told not to do this. What SG would you recommend I go down to?

Hypo that low will definitely kill your inverts. Just leave the tank fallow (fish less) for 8 weeks an the ich will die off because it won't have a host.

Hypo is only recommended for fish, and you should treat them separately in a QT for 4-6 weeks. I drop mine down to 1.012 just to allow for error.

Thanks gents, looks like I'm going to have to wait it out so 8 - 12 weeks it is!

Back
Top Bottom