Marine Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deandonk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I've just purchased an Arcadia blue led strip light and currently only have it on for bout 2 hours after my main lights go off,how long should I have it on for as I've heard people keep them on all through the night,will this be to much and cause algae growth.

It's definitely not going to cause algae growth, but is the tank dark enough with it on to call it night time? Your tank does need a period void of substantial light.
I have seen some moonlights that are almost as bright as an actinic bulb. This will not do.

I would say it represents moonlight yes,I turn them all off over night but in the morning at feed time the fish are very sleepy and don't eat much.

IMO, that would be OK to simulate dusk and dawn. But it`s too much at night time. You could get a timer to help simulate those.

I would say it represents moonlight yes,I turn them all off over night but in the morning at feed time the fish are very sleepy and don't eat much.
I would test your water to see what's up with them not eating. Is this a new tank?

They are eating but seem quite fussy with the era pellets,they love the flakes but not keen on pellets,yeah new tank and only have 2 clowns at the moment,water is fine as tested Friday.

how soon after you turn your lights on in the morn do you feed I wait 2/3hrs after lights are on

I feed them at 6.30am as go to work after that,lights are timed to come on at 2pm.

I put my blue lights on at 7 am then put the main day lights on at 8am then turn off at 6pm and blue light off at 8pm. Within 2 mins of the blue light on in the morning all fish are happy and eager to feed. Variety of food my make your fish more eager to eat, and is deffo more healthy for them.

So you feed them in the dark? I would try soon after lights on if you can or in the evening. My fish get all desperate faces around half an hour after lights come on.

that's why they don't eat they are still asleep!! I wouldn't eat either if I was still asleep :D

Back
Top Bottom