Marine Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennaSimpson

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why cant i find much of anything on marine plants? Am i looking in the wrong place or are they unsucessful/ problamatic?

IME they dont have a track record in the home aquarium. A lot of them are too big for most aquarium. I know alot of folks use macro algeas but they can over run a tank if not watched.

Check out live-plants.com, Gulf Coast Ecosystems. They have a great selection, and a lot of info about marine Macroalgea. Place is just north of me, in Florida

People have kept mermaid fans...I'm not sure how well they did long term. When it comes to kelp, it is actually a macro algae that is used in refugiums sometimes. It is sometimes avoided due to its chances of going sexual and overtaking a tank.

I have mermaid's fan. I got two of them, and they have sent up about 5 new shoots already. Fairly slo growing, and they do require calcium, but they're very pretty.
GCE is a good source, as Flreefer already stated.
True plants are few in the marine aquarium hobby. There are some seagrasses that can do ok, but they are very slow growing, require at least 6 inches of sand, and recover from having their roots disturbed very slowly. Macro Algae is the way to go.
I have quite a few, if you have more specific questions.
I have three types of Caleurpa, Halymenia, Gracilliara, Halimeda, Mermaid's Fan, Shaving brush, Pinecone, and C. barbatos.

Thanks for all the information ! Can I see pictures of your plants in tank setup Mac? Or do you have any already up?

I've had enough with this one stupid hermit I'm evicting Friday! It's attacking everyone and moving live rock all over the tank. it's to big for it's britches!

Attachments

• image-404111016.jpg
    image-404111016.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 86
I will take some pictures soon, but I should clean up a bit. I tend to just let the algae grow wild on the walls (I figure the more in there, the less in the DT) so it's a bit unsightly. I'll clean the front pane at least and siphon out the resulting mess. It's literally crawling with pods, too. Some of the amphipods have gotten huge!

Jenna, sorry about the delay. Work has been hectic. Here is a picture of my refugium as it is now. I was looking at a pic from about a month ago, and the growth is astounding.
525580_10151106006749546_591964545_13445646_1887429738_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom