maroon clown and flame angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all, i hope someone can help. yesterday i purchased a flame angel and after putting it in my tank my maroon clown which i have had for about four years and is bigger than the angel began attacking it. the angel was getting beat up pretty bad so i took out the clown. today the angel looks a lot better. will i be able to put the clown back into my tank? or am just unable to keep them together? thanks

If you have the facilities, I would keep the clown out long enough for the flame to acclimate a feel it is his tank, then you can put the maroon back in. After being in a different aquarium for such an extended period of time...your liable to see no problems at all, but if the maroon starts to be beligerant, the flame will be in a better position to deal with it.

Morgan,

A little more information might be required such as size of tank and if there are any other occupants. Is this a FO or reef tank? If you had the clown for 4 yrs I will assume it is fairly large(5-6"?). If the tank is large enough I would suggest re-arranging the rock work or adding additional racks if that is an option. Then reintroduce the clown. Maroon clowns are known to be very territorial and should be one of the last fish added even when a juvenal.

This is just my thoughts, others might have some other ideas. I am currently keeping a pair of Maroons in a 75gal with other fish successfully, but the other fish were added first.

Good luck,

thanks for the reply. right now i have the clown in a tub with a heater and a power head. he looks like he is doing fine so hopefully i will be able to keep him in it for a few more days. thanks again

If there is no filtration n the tub...then the ammonia will rise to toxic levels quickly, depending on the size of the tub. If there is a good sized piece of cured LR in there with her, it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom