mated pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman_91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do you know if a pair of clownfish is mated? I bought an unmated pair of false perculas. Its been six months since i got them. Im not sure how to tell. They never seperate from eachother, and they shake and display for eachother. I know that they are social fish, so im not sure. I have also done some research, but still dont understand totally. Kind of a dumb question, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Usually they will need to establish dominance. One will grow larger and become the dominant female. The smaller will be the male. Then they should become a mated pair. Be prepared for a little nipping here and there, while she starts showing her dominance....

ok, thanks! There is no nipping yet, but i have noticed the one has been growing at a much faster rate than the other. Thank you for the heads up.

Usually if you want to try to make them a mated pair you get one big and a much smaller one. Does not always work but will some of the time.

Usually if you want to try to make them a mated pair you get one big and a much smaller one. Does not always work but will some of the time.

Im not specifically trying to mate the pair, but its a bonus. Its just my first time with clowns, so i wasnt sure what to expect. Thank you for all your help.

To add to Mike, if you get two at the same time and the same size, you should see them do the same thing. If you already have one clown, and want to add another, then get one way bigger or smaller.

You will know they are a "mated" pair when you see the larger (female) laying eggs. If they are always together that doesn't mean they are mated it just means they are paired up.

Back
Top Bottom