Maxi-Jet powerhead question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering how some people have this set up in their tank. Should I use the venturi attachment? or just push straight water? what way should i have the water flowing? left to right ,right to left. 1 pointing left the other right??????? I got two maxi-1200's

TIA

Don't use the venturis...the salt creep they cause will drive you crazy. Most folks position the PH's so that their current collides. A common arrangement is to have one at each end of the tank pointed at each other. You could add a third on the back wall of the tank with the flow angling across toward the front glass. What you want is turbulence rather than just straight flow.

I would use the screens to prevent your smaller fish from getting sucked in to them. It also prevent food, and other large particles from getting in there as well.

Mike

Ok thanks, It just seems like they slow the flow and seem to creat tiny air bubbles every so often. Maybe I will try the foam filter screen ones Holes are a little larger.

I used the foam in the beginning, but I always had to clean them like every 3 weeks because of algae and food particles blocking the flow. I just use the screen piece it came with and works great.

Mike

should the deflectors be left on? i read somewhere (i think it was on this forum) that the deflectors should be pointed slight upwards to help with surface oxygenation.

also, i have my PH's mounted to the tank with the overhang clips. should the PH's be mounted this high in the tank or should i use the 3 suction cups and mount lower.

As long as you have decent surface agitation, you don't need to use the deflectors. They are handy for directing the current where you want it though. If you start to get some cyano on the sandbed, you can angle some current down towards it...cyano doesn't like flow much. There is no problem with having the PHs mounted up high. MJ1200 generate enough current to move all the water around in a 75g no matter what level they are. The suction cups, although they are some of the better ones available, will eventually harden and start turning loose. You wouldn't believe what a mess an MJ1200 will make when it falls into the sandbed and runs all night! I'd stick with the clips for that reason if for no other.

Back
Top Bottom