Maxima Clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Think I can keep a 2-3in maxima clam in a 30g with quad 24inch T5HOs and a reefbrite 28w blue led bar. The lamp has 1 ati white, 1 ati purple, and 2 ati blue. I am keeping an open folded brain on the sand-bed with no problems.

So many conflicting reads on the topic. LFS says sure, but the economy sucks, so they have to sell.

It`s going to be close as MRC said. They are high intensity light clams. You might want to try a squamosa or a derasa clam with that lighting.

I would love to try one of those, but I've been to three lfs and they only seem to keep crocea and maxima. The one I am looking at is an ORA gold maxima and is only 40$. They have three of them to choose from.

On another note, If I get it to attach higher up, can I spot feed it on the rock?

Got the ORA gold maxima. Picked up a really small and thin piece of slate. Placed the clam on it in the sand bed. Hoping he attaches. Then I can move him up on the LR with a solid base so he will not fall

Attachments

• image-259734932.jpg
    image-259734932.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 139
Gorgeous! (y) Do you think it would have to be a flat surface to attach or could it be a porous piece of leftover rock?

obscurereef said:
Gorgeous! (y) Do you think it would have to be a flat surface to attach or could it be a porous piece of leftover rock?

Mine have always attached right where i put it within 24/hours

Ok, he will not stay on the rock and jumps off it like crazy. So I made an egg crate cage, glue the egg crate to the rock and placed him in it. He is all mad he can't get out. Hopefully he will attach to the rock so I can move him up closer to the lights. I don't think the type of rock matters, the slate is just a good foundation to move him up with.

Mine is like a kid, he will not sit still lol!!!

Oh and I also picked up this squamosa clam. Apparently they are not as light Hungary as the little maxima is... Oh god, I am hooked! If I can keep these guys alive, I'll move up to a 150+ electric blue maxima.

Attachments

• image-2501480270.jpg
    image-2501480270.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 136
Not to high jack the thread but with my quad t5ho actinic lights and 2 150 watt metal halide in a 90, am I able to keep a blue maxima clam? I've been looking into them and ppl keep telling me diff things. Thanks guys

I think it would come down the depth of your tank. Although I am also asking the same type of question, I have heard many success stories. I figured I would just give it a try and see what happens.

I had one for a year in a 55 with only t5 lights, bristle worms got to mine after i bought a frogspawn of CL though, and where you are trying may have too much water flow for him, I am not real familiar with clams though.

I placed them in a cove. The rock work slows the water movement pretty well. Although there still is some. I am sorry to hear you lost yours. 1 up for the anti side of the "are bristleworms beneficial" debate.

Attachments

• image-1099118446.jpg
    image-1099118446.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 121
New plan, moved the Maxima up the rock work. The slate is glued to the rock (6th tube of glue, lol) and still hoping he will attach. He doesn't seem to be able to escape the box however. Hopefully. Squamosa will live in the sandy cove!!

Attachments

• image-1897750893.jpg
    image-1897750893.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1326760860.jpg
    image-1326760860.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2964275203.jpg
    image-2964275203.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 108
It isn't if they aren't attached, it it's if they don't like where they are. I had mine attached to a rock in the sandbed but moved him up so he got more light and to make room for more acans. About a week our 2 into being up top he moved himself back down into the sand. I put his rock back where it was and put him on it. He has opened back up, just not like he used to. Hope he didn't hurt himself or get burned by the light. If it find a happy spot, don't move it! A higher flow spot in the sandbed should work well for your clam. Gl.

Sniperhank said:
It isn't if they aren't attached, it it's if they don't like where they are. I had mine attached to a rock in the sandbed but moved him up so he got more light and to make room for more acans. About a week our 2 into being up top he moved himself back down into the sand. I put his rock back where it was and put him on it. He has opened back up, just not like he used to. Hope he didn't hurt himself or get burned by the light. If it find a happy spot, don't move it! A higher flow spot in the sandbed should work well for your clam. Gl.

Thanks for the advice. Haha, I put him in the sand and he was trying to move all over. But was only opened a little bit. Moved him up the rock, he is still moving, but now he is fully open. I can tell he likes it better. He is under 96watts of light in the 30g, just ordered my reefbrite XHO which is another 28watts and high par. Should be here by Monday. Also going to be using a 9watt high par finnex LED. Guess we will see.

Back
Top Bottom