*Maxima Clam Blue Taking Care Of?*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal. 260Watt Power Compact, Live sand 4in DSB, Clownfish, Firefish, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Anenome, 2 Leather Corals, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer. I have the Liquid Plankton and also frozen plankton and brine shrimp. I was wondering what can I do to keep my 8" Maxima clam stay healthy?Thanks

WoW!! 8" maxima. That's huge. you got a pic? I didn't know that they can get that big.

Since your clam is huge and more dependent on needing light it would best placed as close as possible to your lights. PC doesn't have the penetrating depth as MH. They don't like too much flow. The other thing that can be done is upgrade to MH, this IMO is very important and as always having the correct water chemestry.

I will snap a pic of it a lil later. Doesn't look like I will be upgrading the lighting. I have the PC 260watts. Adding moonlights this week. Clam is in middle on tank on bottom.

This species of clam is really more of a rock dweller. Try placing it on the rock work in a secure place that is big enough for it to expand. These clams really do requre pretty intense light, but it can be kept under CF lighting as well, longevity will be less. Moving it up toward the top will really help. They are filter feeders. I recommend using DT's live plankton to feed it.

I have frozen plankton, brine shrimp, and liquid plankton. When I purchased it the store owner had it in the sand of his tank. Are you positive that it can go on a rock?? I don't want to ruin it? Thanks

the maxima clam i bought was on a sand base and i put it on a rock in my tank to put it close to the light and it attached to it just fine.

Since it is in the sand now will it be ok to move it? I read it should be kept close to the light since I have Power Compacts but touching/moving it can ruin some part of them. What should I do? It is in the middle of my tank nothing is blocking it 260watts straight down on it moonlights coming this week. water flow is minimal since it is on the bottom. I read about not getting food caught in it? but I am sure some food will slip in it. Someone else said not good to have stuff floating in the tank. I have a protein skimmer it is very clean, but when I clean the sponges on the filters some things tend to float.

I am searching for a spot and I see a spot on a rock that is past the filter, skimmer, so there should def be more light, little water flow,

i just slowing working on getting mine to "let go" of the bottom. when you first start to touch it, it should close up some and then the bottom suction part will start to close as you try to get it up. just work slowly and don't force it. i had to move mine again(moved the tank) since putting it on the rock and it's ok. :D

Nice PIX I need to get a digital Camera to take better pix to show my full tank. The pulsing xenia have you had alot of maintenance with it or is it easy to take care of? Tomorrow I will be moving my clam to a higher elevation. I hope it is higher since from reading I hear about nothing goin in it like floating stuff, food. I will be adding moonlights this wednesday can't wait. The clam must be positioned up correct? Mysand bed is a mix of fine live sand and crushed coral. I hope it is easy to take this clam out of the sand. The guy in the shop it looked like it was an easy time pulling him up. Is it true that they keep Nitrate levels down? I heard that the Nitrate's stay on the bottom?

Ya when I got mine, I placed it on the sand. I then found out it needed to be on rock and high up in the tank due to my lighting. (460w CF on a 75g)

It was trying to attach and had dug down a good way, but it came up pretty easy. I placed it on a medium size flat rock, then placed that rock up top of the tank. The clam attached in like a day or two and has done great ever since. I guess its doing well since it has had no color loss. :wink:

Here is a pic of mine when I first got it and now:
f5298e9d.jpg

You can see the clam at the top/middle of the tank. Sorry for the dirty tank...

f4b29987.jpg

Revhtree - nice crocea clam. Yep, crocea do better in rock because over time they will bore out a hole so they can fit inside the rockfor better protection.

Maximas will be fine on the sand bed as long as the lighting requirment is met.

A quick way to tell the difference between crocea and maximas is by looking at their scutes(sp?). Maximas scutes will extend further out than crocea.

Back
Top Bottom