maybe an anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i have a 30 gallon reef tank thats been up for about 6 months now. all of my parameters are stable. i have a 4 bulb fixture from fishneedit and its taking care of my acroporas well, so i think i have a good amount of lighting. i have a sump with about 1500+ gph of flow.

Am i able to get an anemone. I know a decent amount about them, id like to know if im able to keep one, and if so, what is an easy type that will do well in a 30 gallon. im not willing to nuke my tank over this, so something fairly easy would be nice. ive looked into maxxi carpets and like them, but im definitely up for absolutely anything. i dont have a clownfish at the moment, and i dont want it because I want it to host a clown.

Thanks in advance :)

Maybe a bubble tip, phosphates and nitrates at 0? How many watts are you putting out?

yep both are at 0. i just checked bubble tips, and they seem easier. i know maxis dont move much, which is why i was thinking theyd be better, but i like the look of bta's much more.

sniper, i know their trouble, but its so enticing because of the way they act.

I think bubbletips are considered to be the easiest followed by long tentacles. The maxi-minis are pretty as well and come in lots of different colors. Whatever you decide on, make sure you get one that has neither bleached out nor been dyed. The tentacles should look full and the mouth should not be agape.

well after a big debate on another forum, ive decided it wasnt for me. not because it wouldnt survive or anything, just because they arent exactly suited for a reef tank. if it killed a coral of mine, it would be very disappointing to me. I also would be scared 24/7 of it hurting me or anything in my tank. maybe if i getget a fowlr someday i will. Thanks everyone :)

needmorecowbell said:
well after a big debate on another forum, ive decided it wasnt for me. not because it wouldnt survive or anything, just because they arent exactly suited for a reef tank. if it killed a coral of mine, it would be very disappointing to me. I also would be scared 24/7 of it hurting me or anything in my tank. maybe if i getget a fowlr someday i will. Thanks everyone :)

That's cool that u made a decision but being scared 24/7 is a little over reacting I must say never have mine messed with my corals or anything.

Patrick93 said:
That's cool that u made a decision but being scared 24/7 is a little over reacting I must say never have mine messed with my corals or anything.

IMO that isnt an overreaction when you have so much money invested in corals which the anenome could sting, nuke, or the thing could get into a powerhead and be chopped up. There are alot of things that could go wrong!

I totally agree. I had a nem and returned it after about 2 months. I know I can sleep easier now and not worry as much. Good decision in my opinion.

I have found that anemones and coral didn't mix well when the population density gets higher. If the tank is sparsely populated with a coral on one end and a anemone secured to the other end...you would probably be all right. But IMO, when the tank starts to get full, one or the other will dominate the reef. You can seem to have lots of happy anemones and the coral suffers and the opposite it also true. Since there are so many corals that look similar anemones...I prefer the coral. My clown fish loves my waving hand corals and don't miss having an anemone at all. I have one volunteer anemone... A green ball which is kind of pretty and seems to be happy amongst my mushrooms.

Last edited:
okay, thanks. im going to buy a clown then and hopefully it will pair up with something. what type of coral looks closest to an anemone? i already have a frogspawn.

needmorecowbell said:
okay, thanks. im going to buy a clown then and hopefully it will pair up with something. what type of coral looks closest to an anemone? i already have a frogspawn.

You probably dont want to do that. The host would be pretty damaged eventually if it isnt much bigger than the clown. They arent meant for hosting.

That being said, its pretty unlikely that the vlown would host anyways. Ive got a relativly big frogspawn compared to my little Occ. Clown, and he wont go near it!

IMO, an anemone in a 30 gal is probably not a good idea. In large tanks it is do-able, but still not a good idea. Even if everything goes well with the Anemone and the coral, as is my case, the Anemone will wear out his welcome, because of competition for space, as coyote said.
I've had my Sebae for over 6 years and now is in the front corner of my 180. Just the shroud without the tentacles has to be 14-16" across, clown loves it but it has to be isolated. Luckily for me he isn't really much of a roamer, but he and the Gold-band 'maroon will soon be going. I hate to seperate them so the clown will go too.
With that said, you can still get a clown. Unless it conflicts with other stock, if you want one, get one. If your waters up to snuff and you feed him, he'll be fine!

Gboy66 said:
You probably dont want to do that. The host would be pretty damaged eventually if it isnt much bigger than the clown. They arent meant for hosting.

That being said, its pretty unlikely that the vlown would host anyways. Ive got a relativly big frogspawn compared to my little Occ. Clown, and he wont go near it!

Some corals will not host a clown without hurting the coral...but octocorals like waving hand (anthellia) do not seem to mind the clown fish at all. Especially the type with elongated polyps like I have.

Sniperhank said:
You should be able to get a nem by now. IMHO, nems are trouble for corals. I'll never have one.

I'll never have one either. My feogspawn stung one if my acans and left a gapping wound. I can only immagibe what a strong stinging anemone will do when it doesn't move away

Gboy66 said:
IMO that isnt an overreaction when you have so much money invested in corals which the anenome could sting, nuke, or the thing could get into a powerhead and be chopped up. There are alot of things that could go wrong!

I guess some are willing to take more risks then others, there awesome creatures and I enjoy keeping them regardless of the risk but to each is own

I just have a 28g nano with the regular lighting that comes with it in it, and my anemone does great, so yours should do fantastic! I made the choice to spend a little extra $, and I decided on getting a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, and I love it! It is a pretty hardy species that I could just stare at for hours. It is very easy to care for, and I feed it about 2-3 times a week with cut up krill. The only down side to the anemones is their ability to move by themselves. Mine didn't exactly go to the most desirable and ideal location, but it is still definately a pleasant species to have. You should definately get one!

if i ever get a bigger tank that isnt a reef, i will definitely go for it. thanks for the opinions everyone.

Back
Top Bottom