Mccosker Flasher Wrasse x2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had 2 Mccosker Flasher Wrasse in my 110gal for probably 4 months now and they have gotten along (aside from flashing) for the most part. Never saw any physical damage and no evidence of stress. When the bigger wrasse flashes they kinda just swirl around each other and then go off their separate ways. My main problem with these 2 I feel was that my older wrasse was in the tank for probably 6 months before adding the second and it's pretty large although doesn't have the coloration or long filament of a male. The second wrasse was definitely smaller but it had the coloration and filament of a male wrasse. It was also clear to see the larger although not apparently male wrasse was dominating the smaller. Again I never noticed any physical damage or stress. Both eat very well and are extremely active in my tank.

However today...my smaller male Mccoskers fins are shredded and filament is gone. I'm really shocked by this because it seems to have happened out of nowhere. It's still eating and acting normal but everything I read said that they would be ok together. I'm hoping that the size difference and possible role reversal didn't cause this issue. I haven't changed or added anything new yet as my Anthias is still in QT so my finger is only pointing to this other wrasse.

When the wrasse go to bed I'll catch the smaller and put him in QT. I know where he sleeps lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Id love anyone's thoughts on this.
Maybe he got snagged on the rocks while they were flashing?

Your problem is you have 2 males and no females. It isn't reccomended to have 2 male wrasses due to this aggression your seeing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with wrangler. The males will fight over dominance but if you have females in the tank it becomes more peaceful and less aggressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well that's the thing I thought males had the coloration which my original didn't. But I was very unclear if my original wrasse being alone would develop into a male on its own. All of the signs I could find on the internet led me to believe my original wrasse was female. It didn't have any of the coloration or elongated fin. Now however I don't doubt that I've got some dominance issues going on. It's pretty clear to see but it wasn't always this way. I really believe they are in a transitioning phase at the moment. Regardless if my male can change back to female or not I believe that my female because it's actually much larger is transitioning to become a male and dominating the smaller. Last thing I want to do is lose one of my favorites so I'm keeping an eye on them everyday which is easy cause I'm out of work due to an injury.

Can Mccosker transition back to female? One thing that seems common in all the forums is that it's very hard to find a true female Mccosker

Yeah that's what I figured as well. It's hard to really know what good information is with so many people speculating and not much hard evidence. Because at this point I've heard yes they can change depending on which stage of development they are in. Others say that it's been documented that males will suppress their colors if another more dominant male comes along to appear more female. I don't believe my bigger wrasse is male. At least at this point. It doesn't look like a male at all.

No matter all of the different opinions I'll do what I can to figure it out. And honestly for all I know something else could have easily happened. I never notice anything between these 2 fish other then flashing. They don't attack each other and they are all over the tank on their own behaving and eating what I believe to be normally. Injury could have come from anything.

Look at the live aquaria pictures to give you a better idea of stage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom