Mebbid's 90g reef journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like I found the big calcium sink in my tank...
j7wFKVI.jpg

You were able to grow standard PVC piping in your tank using only calcium? Incredible!

Absolutely! It's a procedure I've been working on for a few years. It's excellent to finally see it come to fruition in my reef tank. I am slightly worried that the PVC is going to become invasive and crowd out my fish, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Absolutely! It's a procedure I've been working on for a few years. It's excellent to finally see it come to fruition in my reef tank. I am slightly worried that the PVC is going to become invasive and crowd out my fish, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Ok, seriously, what am I looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, seriously, what am I looking at?

About a 4" long section of my overflow. I'm assuming with the algae bloom I had it created enough food for there to be an explosion of filter feeders in my tank. I'm not sure why they all grew in my overflow, but the entire thing is covered in them just like that picture and my tank is 24" high.

I have the same scene in my overflow. Now I'm finding ALOT of vermtid snails on my rocks.

I have the same scene in my overflow. Now I'm finding ALOT of vermtid snails on my rocks.

I had a HUGE problem with vermetids in my 20g. I am hoping I can keep on top of them with this 90g but I'm not hopeful about it.

This is my first experience with them. Just gotta keep chipping away at them.

The big ones are awful. Basically killed my periwinkle monti and several trumpet heads. Stressing my mushroom out hardcore. I'm thinking about trying a 6 line in them...always advocate against animals to solve problems but I'm struggling with them and can't manage it on a 6 day work week.

I know of nothing. I've read reports of butterflies, coris wrasse, and 6 line...but I'll be honest those are reports from the early 2000's and cant find anything much newer.

I have been doing Alot of reading up on them this weekend. There isn't much out there in the way of beating them. People say get a six line or I'm not sure of the proper name but it's a yellow wrasse. Most everyone says you just have to take the time and brake them off and kill the actual worm.

I figured as much. Sadly, a 6 line is out of the question since I have a McCoskers flasher wrasse in QT right now.

How often do you feed? They are filter feeders so if you cut down on food and don't stur up the sand bed too much they should starve out some what. Theoretically.

But what about those of is that feed twice a week and can't get rid of them? Never seen that theory work on solving the issue.

How often do you feed? They are filter feeders so if you cut down on food and don't stur up the sand bed too much they should starve out some what. Theoretically.

I feed mysis, nori, and soon phytoplankton daily currently. I suppose I could cut down on the food I give the tank, but I am trying to keep my nitrates from hitting 0ppm

But what about those of is that feed twice a week and can't get rid of them? Never seen that theory work on solving the issue.

I'm not saying it works but that was one of the things I was reading on other forums and Web pages. Trust me I'm no expert. Lol

The biggest issue with starving things out is that we keep things that we want to consume that material, like feather dusters in this case.

Back
Top Bottom