Media reactor help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gza166

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been looking at media reactors for my nitrate problem. There is one I've been looking at by next reef, it's mr1 shorty media reactor. Has anyone used there products and also what kind of media is good for nitrate removal

Don't know about the reactor, but doing weekly water changes should keep the nitrates down. Is there a reason why they're so high that you need a reactor?

I have no idea why my nitrates are high. I've beeping weekly water changes and I still can't get them below 20. I have live rock I have a protein skimmer and I just bought a canister filter with a uv light. So hopefully that will aid with the removal of nitrates. Can I put a sulfur based media in a canister?

Is it a new tank? Maybe your tank is overstocked, build up of detritus, too much food, etc? I've never used sulfur based media so I don't know if you can just put it in a bag or not.

Some nitrates come from the fresh water you use. Test your water source first. It is eliminated if you have an ro/di filter. Next would be overfeeding and the unconsumed food hidden in your rocks and substrate just slowly decomposing. If you have enough CUCs they will take care of it. The 3rd is dead fish or CUCs somewhere in your tank. A good skimmer can help get rid of nutrients before they turn into nitrates. You might consider a "Vodka Dosing" also but it has some risks.

Ok I'll test the water, can be overstocked only have a clarkii and a filefish. Cuc might have caused it had a problem with my hermit crab killing my snails

Im running BRS's bio pellets im my nextreef reactor and after 6 weeks have 0 phos and 0 nitrates IMO nextreef's stuff is over built you cant go wrong I do PWC's now just to keep calk.mag. and such in line

Back
Top Bottom