Metal halide bulb need help! Attention Darin at CaptiveReefs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wired up my new metal halide system and when I plug it in the bulbs center turns on for a bit and then goes out. I left it plugged in and it keeps doing this and doesn't turn on fully. It has been on for about 5-10 min. It is a new bulb too. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Josh

I had the same question when I first set mine up. It generally takes mine up to 15 minutes to fire up. Turn it on and let it sit for a while.

From an electrician standpoint: If it is a new bulb, the ballast may be bad, although I have seen new bulbs that were bad. Without checking voltage it would be hard to diagnose. That said I have never dealt with MH for aquarium applications, so I don't know if there is any difference in their design and a standard MH fixture. For safety sake I don't advise checing the voltage if you are not experienced, as some MH fixtures put out 300+ volts.

I had the same thing happen to me. At first, the bulb would fire up after 15 minutes. Then, it would fire after 30 minutes, etc. Eventually, the bulb went out completely. I replaced the bulb and the ballast, and all along it was the bulb. It does happen even with new ones.

Mike

Make sure you have the right ballast with the right bulb. As far as I know there are some pulse start and probe???? start bulps and balasts out there.

It is a coral vue 250w electronic ballast with a mogul socket and 250w 20k metal halide bulb. I have had it on for probably an our now. The arc turns on for like 5 seconds then goes out. This happens about every minute. I read somewhere that this happens with new bulbs but I figured that mine would have turned on fully by now. If someone with a lot of metal halide experience could chime in that would be great. Maybe Darrin at captive reefs could help me out.

Does it just flicker shortly every minute? If so, it is most likely the bulb. This was the final straw with one of mine. I ended up replacing the ballast for no reason.

Mike

Yeah. I have seen that as well. It's too bad you don't have another ballast to test it with. Mine worked for about a week, and then it wouldn't work at all. The new ones fire up within seconds, as opposed to minutes like the other one. I guess it could depend on the ballast itself. I would consider replacing the bulb first and see if that is where your problem is. Or, if you have a lfs that runs MH, you could see about testing it on one of their ballasts there to see if it is good or not.

Mike

if you think it might be a fault with something you ordered from captivereefs.com I would suggest posting in the captivereefs.com forum as he is more likely to see it (although he does frequent the boards pretty regularly) I would also suggest emailing him as the most direct route to correct any issues you may have.

Well id di some electrical testing and I think my ballast is dead. The power tunrs on on the output for like 5 seconds and then turns off. After about a min or so the power turns back on.

josh i left you a phone message you can call me back at 1-866-520-5781 and we can talk!

Back
Top Bottom