Metal Halide question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to figure out how to light my 44 pentagon. I found a 250 metal halide retro kit with which I'm going to build my own hood. Do you think 250 watts is too much light for a 44 gal tank?

Should I also get some kind of actinic light in the tank? How high should I build the hood to keep heat away from the water?

Do you think 250 watts is too much light for a 44 gal tank?

Really depends on what you want too keep. If you are only wanting to keep softies or mushrooms, I would say a 250w MH would be overkill. But if you are wanting to keep SPS and certain LPS, a 250w is perfect.

I run a 250w MH plus two 55w 03 PC on my 40 gallon which is dominated by SPS coral.

Should I also get some kind of actinic light in the tank?

I love 03's. The corals give off a great fluorescent look when lit with actinic bulbs. Some also say the corals grow faster and have better coloration when using this bulbs. I would say yes, go for it!

How high should I build the hood to keep heat away from the water?

The bottom of the MH bulbs needs to be a minimum of 6"-8" off the top of the water. Mine is about 10".

Excellent, thanks for the tips, Biggen.

The 250 MH I found is the most economical solution for the "tough to light" shape of the 44. Do you think this will burn other corals?

I found mini-hoods that have 26 watt PC lamps. I think I can fit 2 in there for 52 watts of actinic light.

Do you think this will burn other corals?

If you decide to keep lower lighting requirement corals you can always place them lower in the rock work/tank. I have my torch and candy cane coral place near the bottom of the tank as they don't like the MH at all.

I found mini-hoods that have 26 watt PC lamps. I think I can fit 2 in there for 52 watts of actinic light.

Sweet!

Back
Top Bottom