Mg. dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Awhile back I posted about low Ca. levels that I could not raise. I got replies back that said to check Mg levels, which were low so I started using ESV B-ionic Mg. I started dosing Mg on 6/25/04 (first reading was 1020ppm) as of 7/2/04 reading was 1140ppm, and i've already gone through 32 fl.oz of Mg. I have been dosing for 100gal aquarium capacity(I have a 120gal). Is it normal to go through this much Mg at first?

I bought another bottle of Kent Mg that I am gonna start dosing today. My target is 1350ppm Mg.

Thanks,
Rich

Awhile back I posted about low Ca. levels that I could not raise. I got replies back that said to check Mg levels, which were low so I started using ESV B-ionic Mg. I started dosing Mg on 6/25/04 (first reading was 1020ppm) as of 7/2/04 reading was 1140ppm, and i've already gone through 32 fl.oz of Mg. I have been dosing for 100gal aquarium capacity(I have a 120gal). Is it normal to go through this much Mg at first?

Yeah, I think it is, alot will depend on the concentration of the Mg supplament, last time I had to raise my Mg with a supplament, it took me almost a full bottle to get it back up to snuff, what is a little easier (and possibly cheaper) is to do water changes with a salt that tests good for Mg, and bring it back up through a few series of water changes.

I currently use IO salt, and from testing make up water the Mg is very low to begin with. I was thinking of changing to a different salt. Is it ok to start using a different salt with water changes? What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Rich

Salt recommendations are tricky, as everyone has a preference and the vast majority prefer IO. I switched from IO about 18 months ago and couldn't be happier with the salt I chose. I use Tropic Marin, many others are very happy with Kent salt and many are switching to the new Oceanic salt.

I also switched from IO to Tropic Marin and am very happy!

Doesn't Epson salt raise Mg levels, and it's cheap too!

The best way is to raise the MG levels in your water change water. Just add it until the MG is at the high end of acceptable. This gives you a slow gradual change as opposed to a big one. The Kent MG is pretty low grade stuff and will probably not raise your MG much at all.

I know I remember you saying it is pretty weak stuff but its all the LFS had for me to be able to keep dosing everyday. I tried adding Mg. and Ca. to some change water but after a day the water was very cloudy and Mg and Ca were still low. So I ended up dumping the water out. The latest bag of salt I got was a little clumpy compared to the stuff i've got in the past. Pretty soon i'm gonna get this right :x

Is it ok to add kalk to change water making sure the Ph doesnt go to high?

Thanks,
Rich

The clumps are usually the elements like Calcium and MG sticking together wich could be part of the problem. I would not add Kalk to the water change water. You may want to pick up some new salt.

Yeah i'm gonna go look for something different and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Rich

In what way do you add the epsom salt? Does it have any adverse effects on Ph, Alk,SG, or anything else?

What would be the recommended dosage?

Thanks,
Rich

acid_burn said:
In what way do you add the epsom salt? Does it have any adverse effects on Ph, Alk,SG, or anything else?

Thanks,
Rich

I don't belive it would affect anything if you are only adding a small amount. I belive a tablespoon per 50gallons is recomended. Be careful if you don't have a Mg test kit, I would only add it once a week or so.

jamal-188 said:
acid_burn said:

Thanks,
Rich

I don't belive it would affect anything if you are only adding a small amount. I belive a tablespoon per 50 gallons is recomended. Be careful if you don't have a Mg test kit, I would only add it once a week or so.
That would be a good starting point but as jamal indicated be sure to test. It is a perfectly good source of Mg and can be used daily if demand is high or the saltmix is lacking. Just be sure you do not add near the same time as a buffer, add several hours afterward.

Cheers
Steve

Cool, i'll get some tomorrow. Any particular brands?

Thanks,
Rich

Nope, I just buy the no name stuff from the local pharmacy. $2.00 worth should last you a year+. Just be sure it is labeled pure magnesium sulphate and contains nothing else. When using, predissolve the salts in a glass of FW and add in a high flow area.

As I said though be sure you test before each addition and do not add near the same time as a buffer compound.

Cheers
Steve

As I said though be sure you test before each addition and do not add near the same time as a buffer compound.

My usual ritual is to test Ca, Alk, & Mg everyday before I dose, thanks for all the advise its well appreciated. :D

Thanks,
Rich

My usual ritual is to test Ca, Alk, & Mg everyday before I dose, thanks for all the advise its well appreciated. :D

Thanks,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom